[Reader-list] UID CARD Doubts

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sun May 16 18:42:23 IST 2010

Dear Bipin,

It seems that you read only those mails which are addressed to you
otherwise you may have recalled that while replying to Shahidhar's
mail I had categorically said that I do not have any problem with
Census. May I add that, although it is a somewhat awkward way of
looking at people but at the moment we do not seem to have other
credible options.

-Till today you remain as Taha-

What exactly do you mean by this statement?

See I get a feeling that somehow you know the true nature of identity
but for some reason you do not want to share it with us. Are you shy?
Can I suggest something, if you are then please don't be. Please
explain your point of view in a forthright manner. Share with us the
nature of identity.

Why don't you just clear this fuzziness of identity and we take it from there?

-With UID allotted to all Indians-

How do you know that UID will be allotted to 'Indians' only? Do
Bengalis from Bangladesh look different from Bengalis from Bengal? Or
do you think that none of them have access to a legitimate voter ID
card, or passport, or a ration card? Don't you think we must invest in
making the corrupt BSF more efficient in tackling this rather than
focus on UID? It's cost efficient as well.

And what about a person whose family is living in India for hundreds
of years but has no records, no documents to prove he is who he claims
to be and no one else to introduce him to a UID official, do you think
he will get a UID number as well? If not, then in this case could we
deem UID as an unjust exercise? Wouldn't it be a huge wastage of
public funds in invest in such a exercise?

We need technology Bipin. That's for sure. I would applaud any
political party which shows will, grit, determination, and resilience
to establish an intricate network of sewers all across the country.
Wouldn't it be nice to live in a country where everyone has a place to
pee and shit. Then and only then could we have a certain basic dignity
of living in India, wouldn't you agree with? We are poor country. We
don't have enough resources to dispose on anything which catches our
fancy. We don't and we are doing it with UID and that's a matter of
great shame isn't it.

No UID card can alleviate that, can it? And what identity database
does a government need to build a network of sewers across the
country, tell me? and don't we urgently need a technology which can
harness the daily waste of a billion Indians and not a fancy identity
card which is based on a deeply fuzzy logic? Wouldn't you agree with
me? Wouldn't most Indians be more happy if they can live without
facing the indignity of shitting and peeing in public?

Warm regards

Taha