[Reader-list] Archive of HEARSAYS:UID

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sat May 29 18:44:25 IST 2010

Dear Bipin,

 I am so sorry I didn't know you are clear about the less than 1% data too!!

Can you please point of the source of this precious jewel to me? I
also want to be as clear as you are.

I apologize for my lack of clarity. You see now I am beginning to get
clear picture that unique identity of a citizen of India might also
mean a unique estimate of ones identity. It is now clear to me that
date of birth with respect to identity might also mean an estimate.

Chalis saal ka deekh raha hai ki nahi. Nahi mujhe toh pacchas ka lag
raha hai. Manager sa'ab aap kya kehte hain! Yaar Nah chalis-na pacchas
asia karo paytalis kar doh. Thik hai nah! Haan sarkaar thik hai.

It might also mean fake identity. Because estimates may not be real in
all cases after all. But it is clear that this hotch-potch, deeply
ambiguous measure of ones identity is okay with you.

Passport is not a fool proof identity document. I am sure you must
have read some reports like these:

Lucknow's Regional Passport Office (RPO) issued 44 passports to
Pakistani nationals who could be linked to a global terror network
operated by handlers across the border.
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/71950/LATEST%20NEWS/Pak+spy+arrest+exposes+UP+passport+scam.html

CRIME TN PASSPORT SCAM ARREST TWO LAST CHENNAI.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/CRIME+TN+PASSPORT+SCAM+ARREST+TWO+LAST+CHENNAI.-a0199290563

DUBAI // Ten passengers on the ill-fated Air India Express flight from
Dubai were using fraudulent passports, it was revealed last night.
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100528/NATIONAL/705279821/1133/frontpage

and so on...

joh pakda jai woh toh chor nah jigar! So I am not sure why are you not
clear that similarly UID data too could be leaked, could be traded
like a commodity. First some of the data maybe based on estimates.
Then those estimates maybe wrong. Then who knows who copies, who
sends, who sells, who buys. UID must not be scrapped according to you
that's clear. But sorry my bad! Because you are clear. You are clear
that it is okay.

I can't give solutions Bipin. I am not a solution provider. That's the
job of policy people. Who frame policies to solve a problem. My role
is different. My role is to see and to raise questions. I am just a
bystander. A witness.

but I pray for your sake that may God grant as much as clarity as
Bipin has- that in India Unique Identity may after all be fake
identity and give us the patience and wisdom to keep our stupid trap
shut!

Aameen!

Summa ameen!

Warm regards