[Reader-list] Fwd: [acj2006] Ban on Expression

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 12:45:19 IST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Malik Siraj Akbar <stunningmalik at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 1:58 PM
Subject: [acj2006] Ban on Expression
To: stunningmalik <stunningmalik at gmail.com>

<http://www.thenews.com.pk/index.html>
*Saturday, November 13, 2010*

http://www.thenews.com.pk/13-11-2010/newspost/15365.htm

*The Baloch Hal* is a progressive English language online newspaper which
champions the cause of objective and investigative journalism. With a
special focus on Balochistan, the Baloch Hal has become Balochistan's most
quoted newspaper. Leading South Asian newspapers and radio stations like
BBC, Deutsche Welle and Voice of America have quoted the newspaper and
interviewed its editor on the geopolitical issues. On November 8, it was
reported that the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) had suddenly
decided to block the newspaper for allegedly carrying some "anti-Pakistan"
material. While refuting the charges, we see this as a mere excuse by the
Pakistani authorities to muzzle the independent media. Besides being the
editor-in-chief of the newspaper, I am a member of Society for Professional
Journalists (SPJ) and South Asian Journalists Association (SAJA). I am
currently a Hubert Humphrey Fellow, a programme sponsored by the US
Department of State. Throughout my professional career, I have always
adhered to objective and balanced journalism. We have always provided
sufficient coverage and space to the government as well as the opposition
parties. Therefore, we believe the government has blocked our website in
Pakistan to persuade The Baloch Hal to give up its editorial policy.

In the recent past, the security establishment in Pakistan shut down a
couple of other newspapers in Balochistan. Journalists were abducted and put
into torture cells. Even though the government expressed displeasure over
our editorials, we, in return, provided adequate space to the official
spokesmen to present their versions as we fully believe in the freedom of
speech. However, this time the government did not take a democratic approach
to convey its grievances and blocked our newspaper by leveling baseless
charges. Thus, I would like to request Pakistan's liberal and democratic
forces to support us in raising voice against the uncalled for official
censorship of a moderate newspaper of Balochistan. In addition, we would
appeal to the government via your newspaper to reconsider its decision
which, we believe, is intended to restrict the freedom of speech.
*Malik Siraj Akbar
Editor-in-chief
*
--
Hubert Humphrey Fellow

--
Hubert Humphrey Fellow
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism, Arizona State University
Cell: +1-4807034548
www.maliksirajakbar.com
www.thebalochhal.com