[Reader-list] Fw: [feministsindia] Fwd: Announcing Delhi Queer Pride 2010 - Sunday, 28th November 2010, 3 pm onwards [1 Attachment]

kabi cubby sherman cubbykabi at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 11:43:17 IST 2010

see you there.
kabi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Delhi Queer Pride Committee <delhiqueerpride at gmail.com>
Date: 20 November 2010 16:53
Subject: Announcing Delhi Queer Pride 2010 - Sunday, 28th November 2010, 3 pm
onwards
To: delhi-queer-pride at googlegroups.com

Delhi Queer Pride 2010
>> We welcome all queer people, friends and supporters to join us for the 3rd
>>Delhi Queer Pride on Sunday 28th November 2010.

What the afternoon looks like:We assemble at Barakhamaba Road at 3 pm and start
marching at 3.30 pm. We should reach Jantar Mantar at around 5.00 pm where we
have organised a small stage for people to speak or sing or dance or shout
slogans… whatever else you want to do, as long as its under 2 minutes! Everyone
is welcome and best if you can give your name in advance by sending a mail to
delhiqueerpride at gmail.com

Thanks to the amazing support we have got from the dilli queers, Delhi Queer
Pride this year too remains funded and organised entirely by the community. And
just like in the previous years, we are using the funds raised to buy material
that will be given away free of cost at the march - masks, small rainbow flags,
whistles, candies, rainbow scarves and leaflets! Come by 3 pm on the day of the
march and collect what you want.

But mind it!:
- Do not the litter the place with masks or parchis or water bottles.
- There will be a box kept near the stage at Jantar Mantar where you can drop
off extra leaflets, masks etc.
- Carry a bottle of water with you.

Join us in all your colorful splendor!
Spread the word and bring along friends, lovers, family, pets!

Zindabad!
Delhi Queer Pride Committee
delhiqueerpride at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000026080444&v=info

Note: English leaflet pasted below and hindi one is attached.

Delhi Queer Pride 2010

On 28 November 2010, Delhi will celebrate its Third Queer Pride Parade! A large
number of queer people, along with the ‘straight but not narrow’ allies of the
queer community, will come together to celebrate the dignity and rights of
sexually marginalized people all across India and the world.

But we will not just be celebrating. We will also protest against the
discrimination faced by queers and make a statement of our hope for a world
where all people live with freedom, dignity and respect.

This year we also march with a feather in our caps. On 2 July 2009 the Delhi
High Court made a judgment decriminalising consensual adult same-sex sexual
activity in private.

What is “Queer”?

Originally, the word “queer” simply meant “odd” or “unusual”. In the past
century, the word came to be used as a slur for anyone who isn’t gender
normative or who deviates from society’s definition of sexually normal
behaviour. Recently, however, people across the world have reclaimed the word
“queer” to empower, celebrate and unite all those who may feel marginalized
because of their diverse gender identities and sexualities.

Queerness is about celebrating our diversity no matter what we call ourselves.
Among many other things, queer people can be gay, kothi, lesbian, queen, dyke,
transgender, transsexual, bisexual, hijra, butch, panthi, femme, fairy, MSM,
FSF, genderqueer, androgynous, asexual, questioning, bicurious or even
heterosexual queers! Queer Pride affirms our diverse expressions and calls
attention to our everyday struggle for respect and dignity.

But even as we affirm all these labels, queerness is also about recognizing and
resisting the way fixed categories and preconceptions can hinder the human
variety of love, desire, affection, and self-expression.

But why are we marching?

Queer people in India face violence and discrimination from many different
quarters. Lesbians are subject to violence, forced into marriage and even driven
to commit suicide by their families. Gay men are blackmailed by organized
scandals that often involve the police. Hijras regularly bear the brunt of
brutal violence meted out to them by the police and others in public and
private. Trans people do not have the medical and psychological services that
they may need. Queer people who have built lives together are not allowed the
same civil rights of property, adoption, and insurance benefits, among others,
that heterosexual families take for granted. These are but a few examples.

The judgement to decriminalize Article 377 has been challenged in the Supreme
Court and so the legal battle continues. Nonetheless the court’s recognition of
our constitutional rights to life, liberty, dignity and respect is a victory
that cannot be taken away from us. It is but one step in changing society, and
we still have a long way to go.

Keeping all this in mind, it is essential that –

- The government extend anti-discrimination laws to ensure that people are not
discriminated against on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender
identity in workplaces, schools, and other public as well as private spaces
- The law forbid non-consensual surgical and psychiatric medical interventions
to alter sex, gender or sexual orientation.

- The government allow people able to record the gender category of their choice
in the national Census of India, Voter ID and all other government documents

- Legal action be taken against policemen and others who commit violence against
queers.
- The government replicate in other parts of the country efforts such as the
Aravani Welfare Board, which the Tamil Nadu Government set up for the hijra
community.
- All persons be allowed to exercise their right to live their lives with
dignity and freedom, regardless of their gender and sexuality identities.

It is also important that we celebrate –

- The Delhi High Court victory reading down Section 377 of the IPC
- The creation of small but significant spaces for queer people to express who
they are
- All the family members, colleagues and friends who have embraced the queer
people in their lives
- Our support from politicians and other public figures
- The untiring efforts of queer and queer-friendly activists, lawyers,
journalists, artists across the country that have got us this far
- The victories of individuals such as Shabnam, who became a politician in
Madhya Pradesh as a hijra
- The positive response from some quarters of the media, even as we hope for
ever increasing support and recognition

Join us at 3:00 pm on November 28th, 2010
Queers and their allies in Delhi will splash the colours of our lives on the
streets of Delhi. We invite queers of every stripe, as well as all those who
stand with us, to rejoice in the rainbow of diversity.

The March will start at the corner of Barakhamba Road and Tolstoy Marg, continue
along Tolstoy Marg and end at Jantar Mantar.
For more information about Delhi Queer Pride ’10 contact
delhiqueerpride at gmail.com

__._,_.___Attachment(s) from deepti
1 of 1 File(s)
 delhi queer pride 2010 hindi.pdf