[Reader-list] "Return Hindu shrines to Dalits, Buddhists"

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Oct 13 00:47:29 IST 2010

Dear Shashi, Javed and Prakash,

Thanks for this interesting little exchange. One reason to demand
that the ASI report on Ayodhya be made a public document, because, it
actually suggests a lot going on 'below' the so-called Ram
Janmabhoomi stratigraphic layer. It is one of the reasons, as any ASI
old timer will tell you, why, the Ayodhya excavations were eventually
abandoned and left incomplete by the ASI establishment, which was
always partial to the Hindutva lobby.

  Hindutva advocates are actually quite uncomfortable with what is
'below' the Ram Janmabhoomi layer, because it would probably expose,
as you rightly point out, the fact that the Ram Janmabhoomi layer is
istelf founded on the destruction of what came previous to it -
probably Buddhist or Jain remains. Now, if we take the faiths of
those people who are not Hindus, but Buddhists, Jains etc, seriously,
then, we have to, by the logic of the Alllahabad High Court
judgement, actually prioritize those who might stake a  claim to the
pre-Ram Janmabhoomi layer.

Shashi says - "one of the dashavtaras is Buddha, Read some shankara
you will know better" - actually the story of how the Buddha became
absorbed into the dashavatara of Vishnu pantheon is quite intriguing.
A majority of the puranic and shastric sources that make this claim,
do so, with a strangely twisted and perverted logic - and it goes
somewhat like this - Vishnu was incarnated as Buddha in order to
preach a false doctrine (read Buddhism) to the Asuras (demons) who
had become very powerful through their diligent prayers and
sacrifices. The Asuras, persuaded by what the Buddha taught,
abandoned the Vedas, abandoned rituals and dogmas, and so, became
weak and lost all their potency. So, they could be defeated.
Apparently, according to some of these sources, Shankara, was an
incarnation of Shiva, who then arrived on earth to clean up the job
that remained to be done once the false doctrine of Buddhism had
weakened the opponents of the devas (the gods). The destruction of
Buddhists shrines in India, of which there is ample evidence in pre-
Islamic times, needs to be seen against the context of this inventive
rationalization.

If you want more details of how the revival of Vedic dharma required
the recasting of the Buddha as a great fraud (not something Buddhists
have reason to be very comfortable with, notwishtanding the
contemporary Hindu rights forced attempt at forging an artificial
kinship with Buddhists) - simply read - the chapter on the Buddha as
an Avatar of Vishnu in Wendy Doniger O'Flaherty's excellent study -
'The Origin of Evil in Hindu Mythology'  (University of California
Press, 1980).

The real problem that Buddhists and Jains have, vis-a-vis Hindu
Hierarchs, in this matter, is that unlike Hindutva-vadis, being the
adherents of essentially agnostic or atheistic religions, they have
no god, no 'virajman devta' (presiding deity) who can be used as a
front and as a partner in the setting up of  a convenient faith based
real estate mafia through an equally convenient exercise in up-
country litigation, lock-breaking, trespass and some sleight of hand
(or should we say sleight of pickaxe and shovel)

best

Shuddha

On 12-Oct-10, at 11:09 PM, Javed wrote