[Reader-list] Xavier's principal takes on Sena and his own student (Rohinton Mistry's book banning row)

TaraPrakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 21:50:29 IST 2010

Well, political parties are already doing it. Books cost too much to waste money on so books are hardly burnt, but political parties have indulged in burning of human beings and Shiv Sena is not the only party to do that.

If you ask me which book by Mistry is the best, my answer will be "A Fine Balance." I am sure many discerning readers will agree with me. the book reminds readers of caste system in India, of harmony between believers of 2 different faiths, about the emergency days and subjugation of masses. But the best Mistry does is not to name the architect of the emergency. Once you use real names "Shiv Sena" "Congress" "Indira Gandhi" You imply that only those parties indulge in inhuman practices. I think an artist is better than a lay man like me when he/she calls spade a spade by using a different word for it.