[Reader-list] Azadi: The Only Way – Report from a Turbulent Few Hours in Delhi

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Oct 22 13:48:16 IST 2010

Dear Tara Prakash,

thank you for your response to my posting. To me, the slogan of
'Islamic Republic of Kashmir' is indeed as offensive as that of
'Hindu Rashtra'. And were slogans of that nature vocalized by a major
section of the crowd, I would have responded when my turn came to
speak, and I would have responded very, critically.

  I have also heard the coverage of the BBC Hindi service. Here is
the link -

BBCHindi.com - Is Waqt (10.30 pm (India Time) / 17:00 hrs (GMT),
broadcast on 21st October, 2010

https://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/india/
2009/07/090701_radio_prog_ak2_tc2.shtml

Let me translate verbatim from the report -  (as I would have
appreciated your doing)

" When Arundhati Roy spoke, she was interrupted by some of the
present Kashmiri Pandits. When she resumed speaking, the report goes
on to say, that
"What happened with Kashmir Pandits was unjust ," (the word used is
'Anyay' ) and she raised a question as to whether an independent
Kashmir can deliver justice to all its inhabitants. "

In reality, she asked the assembled people to deepen their
understanding of freedom to include justice, so that no one would
feel excluded from their understanding of 'Azadi'

The report then goes on to say -

"Some of the Kashmiri pandits raised slogans of Vande Mataram, and
some of the others present raised slogans pertaining to Azadi and the
Islamic Republic of Kashmir...Then, when Syed Ali Shah Geelani spoke,
he answered Arundhati Roy by stating that he stands 'guarantee for
the safety and security of all minorities in an independent Kashmir'."

We then hear an extract from Geelani's speech

  In the audio track, that is, in the clipping of ambience sound
presented before the extract of Geelani's speech, in the programme to
illustrate the 'slogans' - you can hear shouting, and the din does
not allow you to make out words.

I was present on stage, I head 'Vande Mataram' and 'Bharat Mata ki
Jai', I did not hear slogans pertaining to an 'Islamic Republic of
Kashmir' although slogans of 'Azadi'  and slogans like 'Kaun Karega
Tarjumani, Syed Ali Shah Geelani' (who will represent us, it is Syed
Ali Shah Geelani) etc, were clearly audible. I saw one young person
tried to say 'Naara e Taqbeer'. Nobody responded to him, not even
with the customary, (and to my mind, inoffensive, 'Allah o Akbar') -
which as I have said before is, no better or worse a slogan or
utterance, than 'Jai Siya Ram'.

  If indeed slogans for an 'Islamic Republic' were uttered, then
clearly, they were not uttered with much gusto, or with much lung
power, or with much people power backing them. The LTG has excellent
acoustics, and even the stray comments made by individuals during
speeches (as for instance a gentleman sitting in the middle of the
auditorium who tried to tell me something as remarkable as being to
the effect that even 'Barkha Dutt was a pro-Azadi voice' (he also
later said that 'no shoes will be thrown', when Arundhati spoke,
because Kashmiris are a 'cultured people') from the audience were
often clearly audible. The lady next to him, who repeatedly heckled,
was also often clearly audible. So,  had there been a loud individual
voice saying 'Islamic Republic of Kashmir; I would have heard it, and
would have reported it.

In any case, presuming it was said, by some isolated person in the
audience, and said, inaudibly, no one on the dias made any reference
to an 'Islamic Republic of Kashmir'. To say that would be as absurd
as saying that someone on the dias said that Kashmir is an 'atoot
ang' (indivisible limb) of India. So to say (as the report does) that
"slogans for an 'Islamic Republic of Kashmir' were uttered" to
characterize the meeting is as misleading as saying that "the slogan
of 'Vande Mataram' characterized the meeting".  In the radio
programme,  which you can listen to at the link I have provided
above, you cannot hear, any slogan pertaining to the Islamic Republic
of Kashmir, you can however hear Syed Ali Shah Geelani giving his
'guarantee' for the safety of minorities in a future Azad Kashmir,
with crystal clear audibility.

I hope i have made myself, amply clear.

best,

Shuddha