[Reader-list] Wikileaks and the End of America!

Pheeta Ram pheeta.ram at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 05:16:23 IST 2010

Dear Taraprakash

Your soft corner for the US of A is revealing.
Now don't give me this bullshit that since some people don't want the US to
leave Iraq the people should start having second thoughts about their dream
of throwing the US out of Iraq. A colonizer however benevolent is still a
colonizer.

During India's struggle for freedom, there were many people who didn't want
independence and were happy under the British.
Many of them were those who had prospered under the British rule. Though the
transfer of political power to the Indians (elites) have made no difference
yet i take being free from a colonial ruler as a positive thing.

" Many of us do that, reduce issues to black and white, and take one side."
Now, i firmly believe that this is not the case with many of us. Many of us
are fence-sitters. They remain non-committal to the end. They want to eat
their cake and have it too. Many of us have lost their capacity to reduce
things to black and white. Many of us don't believe in taking one side for
most of us are not sure on which side we are. So its no virtue in deluding
yourself by thinking that many of us reduce the issues to black and white.
The goal must be towards making issues clear (black and white). And if your
goal should be otherwise you can revel in the greyness of the things, in the
aesthetics of deferral. But you can't defer things ad infinitum. A day comes
when you have to take sides, make an ethical choice. Either you are for
HITLER or AGAINST. Either you are for US or against.

Thank you for quoting Kabir. I am sure Kabir has something profound to say
here but if i commit the heresy to take it very literally i would say its a
good thing if no grain remains sabut between two wheels for then we shall
have flour to feed ourselves. Its metaphoric understanding again brings us
to many people's favorite hobby-horse: violence-nonviolence dyad. So i
rather not tread those paths again.

However, i am still at loss as to why you have such love lost for America!
America!

Best

Pheeta Ram