[Reader-list] Art Exhibition forced to shut down by Govt.

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 22:14:53 IST 2010

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Provocative-work-forces-gallery-to-call-off-art-show/articleshow/6494012.cms
--
MUMBAI: Two "provocative" paintings by an Aurangabad-based artist
forced the Nehru Centre at Worli in Mumbai to discontinue the
exhibition on Saturday, after running it for three days. This is the
first time the centre has abruptly stopped an art show.

Artist Nandkumar Jogdand (43) has lodged a complaint with the Worli
police. He said this was a violation of his right to express himself,
and that the trust-owned Nehru Centre had succumbed to pressure from a
saffron group, a claim denied by the management. Assistant director of
the Nehru Centre Art Gallery Nina Rege said the exhibits "were in bad
taste and created controversy".

The two paintings in question are titled 'Gandhi (After Pune Karar)'
and 'Blind Faith'. The former depicts a dhoti clad Mahatma Gandhi
striking a victim with a Trishul. The artist said he got the
inspiration for this piece after reading the 'Pune Karar' or the Pune
Pact, which happened after an agreement between Gandhi and Dr
Babasaheb Ambedkar. In the second painting, 'Blind Faith', a nude
Hindu goddess is depicted in a provocative position.

"When the gallery took objection to my exhibits, I was prepared to
remove 'Blind Faith' but not 'Gandhi (After Pune Karar)'," said
Nandkumar, adding that the latter is based on a type of puja prevalent
in parts of Karnataka, and that the woman was not a goddess.

The exhibition was allowed from September 1 to 3 without any
controversy. But after complaints from an "anonymous caller", Nehru
Centre on Saturday issued a notification to Nandkumar. "The paintings
were of a nature that could give rise to controversy leading to
undesirable situation," read the letter. "Therefore, in the light on
Rule no. 3 under Conduct of Nehru Centre's Art Gallery Rules and
Regulations, we hereby direct you to remove these two paintings and
continue with your exhibition with the remaining paintings. If you do
not remove these paintings, the art gallery will be closed for public
viewing forthwith," said Rege in the letter.

When asked why it took the management three days to discontinue the
exhibition, Rege said: "The exhibition began only on September 1 as
Nandkumar put up his art work by late evening on August 31. At the
time, I was visiting a sick colleague and returned to work on
September 2. I then got a call from a person who said the exhibits
were objectionable. I took a round of the gallery and found 'Blind
Faith' to be controversial."

Meanwhile, Nandkumar has sought police protection and has demanded
that the exhibition should run its course till September 6.

Read more: 'Provocative' work forces gallery to call off art show -
Mumbai - City - The Times of India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Provocative-work-forces-gallery-to-call-off-art-show/articleshow/6494012.cms#ixzz0yfraM43q