[Reader-list] KASHMIR: VIEW FROM THE EMERGENCY ROOM

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Tue Sep 7 18:04:07 IST 2010

KASHMIR: VIEW FROM THE EMERGENCY ROOM

BY AJAZ BABA

It is another day of curfew in Kashmir. I am travelling in an
ambulance to the Shri Maharaja Hari Singh (SMHS) Hospital in Srinagar,
my workplace and the city’s main hospital. The windscreen is shattered
like that of most vehicles that dare to ply the roads, which are
blockaded by either protesters or policed by irate securitymen. It is
a blessing though, the shattered windscreen, because it offsets the
suffocation in the van. The van carries eight persons but these days
it is packed with medics, nurses and paramedics, this being a safer
mode of travel.

A CONCERTINA wire blocks the road ahead and a policeman peers into the
van. “Hospital staff”, the driver says with an ingratiating smile and
the policeman lifts the wire and waves us on. A speeding car overtakes
us with its horn blaring and a couple of youth hanging out of the
windows shouting and gesticulating wildly. There has been a firing on
a demonstration and they are carrying a young man hit by a bullet to
the hospital. “There, it has started,” a nurse grumbles.

By the time we reach the hospital, the patient in the car that
overtook us is in the operation theatre. A crowd has gathered. There
is blood on the clothes of the youth who came with the patient. One of
the accompanying youngsters is sitting near the entrance of the
theatre weeping and pleading to be let inside. He is the victim’s
brother. I enter the theatre. A tube sticks out of the teenager’s
mouth through which a doctor is ventilating him. Another doctor is
applying stitches to secure the tube that has been put in on the side
of the chest with the bullet wound. The bag attached to the tube
bulges with blood. It empties and fills rapidly. “He will need a
thoracotomy,” the doctor shakes his head.

There is a brief lull and then someone comes with news that protesters
have been fired at in a village near Sopore, nearly 60 kilometres
away. The journalists arrive with their cameras and converge near the
casualty entrance like birds. Stretcher trolleys are hurriedly lined
up. A couple of hours pass and when it has begun to look like no more
injured will arrive there is this terrifying clamour of rushing gurneys.

I rush out just in time to see a young man on a trolley being dragged
and pushed by a score or so youngsters. Those in the front are
brandishing sticks and are hysterical. The trolley- bearers rush in
one direction and then another, yelling till someone directs them
towards the operation theatre. All this happens within a few seconds
but, like in a nightmare, the seconds seem stretched. Another trolley
follows, accompanied by shrieking women and men shouting slogans. The
boy on the first trolley is dead, from a single wound in his leg that
has long ceased bleeding, the blood having drained during the journey
to the hospital. The trip would normally take an hour but with the
confusion, the curfew, and numerous barricades, it has taken four
hours. The cell phone in his pocket rings incessantly, the Bollywood
song that is his ringtone sounds obscenely out of place. The other
victim, an elderly person, is also dead. From bullets in the chest and
neck.

The bodies are put into a waiting ambulance, which will take them and
the wailing relatives back to their village. The patients keep coming
in cars and auto-rickshaws. Mercifully, the injuries are not fatal.
One patient has a bullet injury in the abdomen. He is lucky; he has
reached hospital in time. A teenager is brought walking with a
handkerchief held to his left eye. He has been hit in the eye by a
marble aimed with deadly accuracy with a catapult, one of the ‘non-
fatal’ weapons in the hands of the security forces. The swollen eye is
reduced to a gooey mess.

Some days I can’t help feeling that even the canniest of journalists
is not able to capture and project what’s happening in Kashmir.
Television channels show a clichéd account with a repetition of
similar-looking slogan-shouting crowds, stone-pelting youth and women
wailing their dead. The hospital scene I am daily witness to is far
more descriptive and eloquent. The ghastly wounds tell their own gory
tale but it goes beyond that. It is not about slogans and
demonstrations either. These days so many donors come to offer blood
that the hospital blood bank is overflowing though at times over 20
pints have had to be transfused into a single patient.

AT MEAL times a couple or more of mini load carriers chug into the
hospital compound. The sloganeers suddenly turn into solicitous hosts
ladling out rice and gravy. Some days when the supplies run low it is
just turmeric-dyed fried rice. Every day I see a group of prominent
businessmen, who must be losing crores of rupees because of the
turmoil, spending long hours in the hospital even beyond our own
stretched duty hours. They are not ruing their losses but, without so
much as a complaint, helping out the sick and the injured and plying
patients and their attendants to remote corners of the Valley in
private ambulances. In numerous ways, they provide unconditional help
and assistance.

Scenes like these make it difficult to believe that it is just a
handful of misguided, frustrated or paid young men who are all there
is to Kashmir. The show of camaraderie is enough, and more so than the
scenes on the roads, to convince even a cynic (and that, I might as
well confess, includes me) that if this is not a mass movement then
there has never been one.

Living in the midst of all this violence, bearing witness to fatal
wounds every day, declaring ‘brought dead’ young men whose faces have
just begun to sprout a fuzzy semblance of a moustache, one cannot
continue to remain unaffected. I have never picked up a stone, but
sometimes I feel I too am fighting, perhaps indirectly, the ones who
inflict death. It is a pitifully unequal battle, especially when you
are mocked by a youngster’s body, dead long before the surgical skills
you are so proud of could help him.

Ajaz Baba is a general surgeon at SMHS Hospital, Srinagar

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main46.asp?filename=Ne110910Kashmir.asp