[Reader-list] Fwd: Kashmiri Marginalities: The Construction, Nature and Response.

Lalit Ambardar lalitambardar at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 13 00:52:51 IST 2010

  Who is this 'Kashmiri' whose marginality is being talked about...........?? ?......

" .........While the Kashmiri Self is torn between commitments to multiple,
 overlapping and contradictory identities and interests, like
 people anywhere else, the fact of being born in a territory, where
the conflict around its disputed nature has raged to varying
 degrees for over the last sixty years, complicates and intensifies
concern for some identities at the cost of others. The political
 uncertainty impacts different members and groups differently as

 they choose different strategies to deal with the onslaught from
 within and without. To grossly simplify, for example a large
 majority of Pandits have moved out of Kashmir and many have allied
 themselves with Indian right-wing parties.Kashmiri Shia and
 Sunni Muslims largely identify with the broad contours of
 separatist politics, Pashtoons are invisible, Gujjars maintain an
 ambivalent position depending on where they are physically,
 located. People in Gurez, Karnah, Uri, who are geographically
 isolated from the valley and live in close proximity with security garrisons do
 not manifest sympathy with separatism, or at least do not overtly
 do so for obvious reasons. Within the state of Jammu and Kashmir,
 people of Doda, Punch and Rajori ally with Kashmir or Jammu
 depending on which of their interests and identities are
 threatened at a particular moment of time. People of Kargil
 gravitate towards Kashmir if and when the Buddhist majority
 discriminates against them. Hindu majority areas of Jammu, and
 Buddhist Leh, have consistently favored India and alleged
discrimination by Kashmiri Muslims and their appeasement by the
 Indian state........"

Kashmir Pandits have not just 'moved out of kashmir',they were subjected to systematic ethnic cleansing by the kashmiri pan Islamists because they professed a different faith & that they were seen symbolising Indian presence in the valley. Club them now in their exile with the so called right wing parties & damn them.It very well suits suits the self acclaimed liberal civil society not to question the crimes commited against humanity by the 'azadi' seekers.

Their mass murder through almost daily bombings by Sunni terror groups in Pakistan that  provides 'moral & diplomatic' support ( including AK-47s,mercenaries,funds .....as freebiees...) to wahabism driven kashmiri pan islamists, is no inspiration for Shias to be part of the 'separatist politics'. Shia ghettoisation with in  kashmir valley is no secret.

 Gujjars do not  identify themselves with the proponents of 'azadi -bara -e -Islam' ( freedom through Islam).Pan north India Gujjar brotherhood is well known.A Kashmiri Gujjar fought elections from Rajasthan recently.

 There have been repeated attempts by the kashmiri pan islamists to spread their tentacles in Jammu region, but the people of Doda, Punch and Rajori have always spurned the moves. People of Jammu region including those from the  Hindu majority areas are demanding abbrogation of article 370 to ensure complete integration with the Indian Union.

People of Kargil have never supported Kashmiri pan islamists seeking scession from India.A Union Territory status  for Ladhakh has been a long standing demand of the region including the Buddhist Leh.

A bunch of lies, however well contrived can not change the ground realities, prompt appreciation from the expected 'quarters' on this forum not withstanding (how else would propganda perpetuate,otherwise..???..).

Rgds all

LA