[Reader-list] International Centre for FOSS in Kerala

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 20:42:31 IST 2011

In his inaugural speech, the CM said, “As per the IT policy of the
Government we will support the use of Free and Open Source Software
(FOSS) in all projects, especially those for governance and
education...."

http://keralaitnews.com/other-it-news/foss/2109-kerala-icfoss-technopark

Kerala launches International Centre for Free and Open Source Software
Thursday, 24 February 2011 22:12 Kerala IT News
E-mail

Tvm: The International Centre for Free and Open Source Software
(ICFOSS) was inaugurated today by Chief Minister Shri V S
Achuthanandan in Thiruvananthapuram. The Technopark based ICFOSS will
focus on providing technical assistance for using FOSS to implement
various government projects in Kerala in an endeavour to promote open
source software.

In his inaugural speech, the CM said, “As per the IT policy of the
Government we will support the use of Free and Open Source Software
(FOSS) in all projects, especially those for governance and education.
Kerala was one of the first states in the country to adapt to free
software. Today, other states are following our footsteps and we
should ensure that we maintain the leadership position. ICFOSS is a
step in this direction.” He also added that major projects of national
importance like Aadhaar should have been developed on FOSS.

Ishita Roy IAS, Director, Kerala State IT Mission said, “The opening
of the International Centre will go a long way in making Kerala a
global FOSS destination. The centre would promote the use of free
software in all government projects including e-governance projects
and provide technical backup for the state government while developing
new FOSS based software”. ICFOSS is being set up by the Kerala State
IT Mission.

Satish Babu, CEO of InApp, an IT services company in Technopark, has
been appointed as the Director of ICFOSS. He is an active proponent of
Open Source Technologies and is the Convenor, Special Interest Group
of Computer Society of India on Free and Open Source Software.

Talking to Kerala IT News, Satish Babu said, “The vision of ICFOSS is
to become a leading research organisation in Free and Open Source
model of knowledge development thereby contributing towards
sustainable development of society and to stimulate economic
development in the region. We hope ICFOSS will act as a converging
point of experts, students, officials and the public.”

Rahul De from the Indian Institute of Management in Bangalore (IIM-B)
has prepared the vision document for the International Centre for Free
and Open Source. There is no institute of similar nature existing in
the country. Kerala has been recognised around the world for its
initiatives in FOSS.  ICFOSS will act as a consultancy agency for
various government organisations in Kerala. Considering the fact that
many other states are also looking into the possibility of adopting
FOSS, ICFOSS will play an important role in national level also.

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani