[Reader-list] No need for foreign interference in Gujarat riot cases: Supreme Court

Bipin Trivedi aliens at dataone.in
Thu Jan 20 21:16:23 IST 2011

It is clear now that Teesta and others use godhra riot episode as a tool of
raising fund by involving foreign organization. But, SC scrolled them and
not allowed.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_no-need-for-foreign-interference-in-guj
arat-riot-cases-supreme-court_1496990

The Supreme Court today came down heavily on social activist Teesta Setalvad
for raising the issue of post-Godhra riots of Gujarat with foreign
organisations saying that it can take care of the cases and no interference
is required from overseas human rights groups.
"We don't appreciate that other organisations interfere in our functioning.
We can take care of (them) ourselves and cannot get guided by others. It's a
direct interference in our functioning. We don't appreciate it," a special
bench headed by Justice DK Jain said.
The court was anguished that the NGO, Centre for Justice and Peace (CJP),
headed by Setalvad approached Geneva-based Office of the High Commissioner
for Human Rights raising the issue of protection of witnesses in riots
cases.
"You seem to have more faith in foreign organisations than this court. It
seems that witnesses would be protected by these organisations," the bench
remarked adding that if such letters are written then the court would pass
the order without hearing the contentions of the CJP.
"If you send such letters then we would hear the amicus curie and pass the
order (without hearing you)," the court said adding, "All the cases are
being monitored by us, we don't like any correspondence of her with foreign
agencies."
The issue was brought before the bench by senior advocate Harish Salve who
is assisting the court as an amicus curiae in the Gujarat riot cases of
2002.
The NGO's counsel Kamini Jaiswal pleaded that no such letters would be sent
to other organisations in future.
She had earlier said that the NGO had forwarded a copy of the October 7,
2010, letter addressed to special investigation team chairman RK Raghavan to
the international body with which the NHRC is also associated.