[Reader-list] THROW OUT ANTI NATIONAL ELEMENT

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 17:29:14 IST 2011

Dear Malik jee

Obviously I get psyched out if anybody praises the development aspect of
Modi to proclaim that he alone is the Prime-Ministerial candidate. Not only
Modi, if Rajiv Gandhi were alive today, I would say the same for him
considering he too presided over a pogrom, that of the Sikhs.

Development doesn't only include building roads and conducting chess events
of a Guiness-book scale. It also means working towards improving education
and health aspects of the society as well as enhancing freedoms of people,
as Amartya Sen said. And by the way, the very same Sen has said he would not
like to see Modi as the Prime Minister of India. You can say whatever to me,
but I would be very happy to know what's your message to Mr. Sen (he is a
Nobel Prize winner by the way, and unlike you or me, he knows a thing or two
about development).

I am just using Sen's argument to state very clearly that Modi has the
albatross of what happened in 2002 hung around him. It is not that 5-10
people were killed (or even those who supposedly burnt that train coach were
killed). This is about mass murder of people who were in no way related to
the train incident. Even further, women were gang-raped. And the
administration was sleeping. Why? And if Modi had felt even morally that
this was wrong, and he was not able to control it because all officers under
him were biased against Muslims, shouldn't he have resigned or at least
expressed his views in public? Why did he even not apologize for it?

Already we have had the shame of Rajiv Gandhi being the Prime Minister and
ensuring one of the most gruesome pogroms in independent India. If he would
have been punished, a Modi would have not been born. At least let us not
repeat the same history again. If a Modi ever becomes the Prime Minister,
another such politician would be born. And some of us would have to lose our
lives because we are Muslims/Hindus/Sikhs/Tamils/Telugus/Kannadigas/Punjabis
etc. etc. etc. (in addition to gang-rapes, looting of our houses or
something else). That fellow too will ensure something (Rajiv Gandhi
supposedly introduced IT revolution in India, Modi brought about development
in Gujarat supposedly). But the rights of those minorities would have been
wiped out.

Rakesh