[Reader-list] MUSLIMS WANTS TO MOVE AHEAD

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 11:06:41 IST 2011

Dear Malik ji

For 1), I would say that just because my definition of development is
different from you, doesn't mean yours is right. Many people supported
Hitler also, yet he was wrong. Similarly, there can be different definitions
of development. And what I gave was not my definition. It is how Amartya Sen
and the UN itself defines it.

So if you believe development doesn't include law and order aspects, that's
your problem or perception. For me, it does. For some it doesn't. And
therefore my criticism of Modi is as valid as your support of him.

And if your definition isn't right or wrong, same is the case for me.

For 2), my fear of Modi is about his ideology. I hardly bother about Modi
the person (whether he is married or not, whether he has sons or daughters,
whether he does yoga or not, or whether he is mentally healthy or not). For
me, it's about what he has done.

Also, I mentioned a thing clearly in my previous mail. Everybody talks about
physical and financial development in Gujarat. Why don't we talk in terms of
facts? Wouldn't that be helpful? Why just selective examples? After all it's
strange that when the Congress makes a Muslim the CM it's an act of
appeasement but when the BJP makes Muslim some DGP of a state or something,
it's not. How come?

Also, I would not like to sacrifice one aspect of development for the other.
In any case, I would not comment on these aspects of development till I
myself read more on the issue. In that regard, I accept my ignorance (and
here I don't mean the newspaper reports which are put out in this forum to
show he has done well). I would rather read some research on the issue.

3) It's a shame if someone has to retract his views. If Maulana has done so
(and I sincerely apologize since I didn't know he has done), it's a shame.
Just because we dont' believe in something doesn't give the right to us to
stop him from airing the views or making that person change his/her views.

That's the attitude of the Bajrang Dal, the VHP, and their cohorts among the
Muslim and Christian and other communities. I frankly don't subscribe to
it.

Rakesh