[Reader-list] AUDITIONS - ALMOST, MAINE by John Cariani, New Delhi / Gargi College ECA Trials

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Mon Jun 20 18:51:22 IST 2011

AUDITIONS - ALMOST, MAINE by John Cariani

Cathaayatra invites actors and practitioners for its latest play
Almost, Maine by John Cariani

Supported by The American Center, New Delhi

About the Play:
Do we wait for our lives to happen to us, or must we make choices and choose to engage? Does love happen to us, or do we create it? We often sucker ourselves into believing that it’s only the first half of that equation. The characters in Almost, Maine take risks for what they want, and deal with the consequences. As a result this play provides the opportunity to discuss the moments of choice and fundamental risks that we regularly take in our relationships – romantic or otherwise – every time we communicate, or fail to communicate, our needs and wishes. To speak up or stay silent? To conceal or confess? To give or to take? Watching for those risks can be a fruitful avenue to discuss theme and character. And by asking the corollary question – “What would I do in that situation?” – we can begin to discover resonances and connections in our own lives. What is it that makes a risk worth taking? Where is Almost?

Almost, Maine introduces 19 characters at crucial moments of choice in their relationships with one another. As mirrors to our own lives, the 8 scenes in 2 acts occur in different locations around the imaginary town of Almost, and each has its own crisis, its own emotional fragility, and its own stakes. And in each, there’s an element of wonder or “magic”, where a universal metaphor is expressed as a literal situation.

8 scenes imagined to be happening at the same time and connected by the phenomenon of the northern lights in a remote imaginary town weave a real and often funny story of finding, rediscovering and losing love.

We are looking for:

Actors - 2 male & 2 female to play characters between 25 and 50 years.
Clear English diction and a quirky sense of humour will be requisites.
Everything else - we can work on together.

Rehearsals start 1st August and end 20th September 2011.
Current Confirmed Shows schedule ( At American Center):
Delhi / Gurgaon - 22, 23, 24,25 Sept 2011
Mumbai - 1st October 2011
Goa - 13th Oct 2011
We'll try to fix box office shows around the above dates.

**THIS IS A RESIDENTIAL repeat RESIDENTIAL project in GOA repeat GOA!
If you're not from Goa or have no friends, we'll give you a place to live.
If you're not already grateful for this opportunity, we'll pay you some.
Lots of bonding and card games in trains / airports assured. Get ready to be monsooned too. Nature at its best comes as a perk. We may pay for chai, samosas, vada pavs for the odd BYOB party.We no pay for booz or other substances. Rehearsals will include volunteer community work and playshops. If you have workshop facilitation skills, we'll find you some more work.
Enthusiasts willing to be non-paid understudies in acting / lighting / production roles are more than welcome.

To be part of this, first write to us why you would do something crazy like this

weare at cathaayatra.com
Gargi College ECA Trials

Gargi College ECA trials for DRAMATICS will be held on 22nd and 23rd June, 9 am onwards. The form for the same can be taken either from college or the link posted below. The form has to be submitted in college latest by 20th June. The timings for registration on 22nd and 23rd are from 9am to 10.30am.

Form :http://gargicollege.in/UserFiles/File/ECA_form.pdf