[Reader-list] [issuesonline_worldwide] MSP FOR KHARIF CROPS 2011-12

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 19:47:12 IST 2011

The solution would be to improve the distribution, storage and procurement
system
Universal PDS is certainly essential (as everybody must have food security)
and can also ease the pressure on storage (plagued by stock-build up
problem). The gap between 'supply for universal PDS' and current procurement
levels is quite small. Targeting is done by the central Govt to deprive most
of the poor.. there are a number of studies on this aspect. ~90+% of the
nation should be regarded as BPL, rice @ Rs2 is rice@ Rs 2. To speak of
'excessive Government subsidies' in a country with no sane concept of social
security for the people is abomination.

The restriction on movement on food grains was also aimed at curbing
black-marketing and hoarding by  wholesalers. They are very capable of
creating famines for both monetary gains and political games. It can argued
that given the changing nature of market players that such restrictions
actually help potential monopolists. But that is not ground reality.

The bigger issues also relate to FDI and futures trading in agriculture.
This article (http://www.macroscan.org/anl/may11/pdf/Food_Flows.pdf ) has
much to say on the 'concepts' used by the corporate media for their vested
interests.

Best

A. Mani

--