[Reader-list] meeting on fatehabad anti nuclear strugge

asit das asit1917 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 14:36:04 IST 2011

Dear Friends,

The unfolding disaster in Japan brings home forcefully the point that the
production of Nuclear Energy is inherently extremely dangerous and so the
trajectory the Indian State is taking on Nuclear Energy is horribly wrong.
But to address the core issues, we have to confront the entire context and
the way in which energy choices, energy production & wasteful consumption is
being organized even as the basic and direct energy needs of the people are
not met.

Even in the narrower context, the ongoing Japanese nightmare should, at a
minimum, pose a serious question mark against all the nuclear programmes
being pursued in India. But the Indian state is determined to shamelessly
and ruthlessly push ahead with its aggressive programs. The affected people
in different proposed   Nuclear Power Plant sites are struggling against the
imposition of such plants in their locality which will take away their land
and livelihoods and expose all those living around to high levels of health
damaging ionizing radiation.

 The struggles are only getting stronger against plants to establish NPPs in
Jaita Pur - Maharashtra, Hari Pur - West Bengal, Mithi Virdi - Gujarat,
Pitti Sonapur - Orissa, Chutka – Madhya Pradesh, Kovada – Andhra Pradesh and
Fatehabad in Haryana.

In our own vicinity, Fatehabad, Haryana, the farmers and their supporters
have been sitting in a Dharna for the last 220 days. The anti Nuclear plant
struggle committee, Haryana is planning a massive rally at Fatehabad on 28th
March, Monday.

We therefore invite all like minded organizations, activist groups and
individuals to come together and forge a large united front to campaign
against the Indian State’s Nuclear Power Programmes at the various levels on
which we can find convergence, from the general to the particular.

Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament & Peace (CNDP)
Delhi Platform (DP)
Parmanu Sanyantra Virodhi Sangharsh Samity - Haryana

DATE :  22nd March, Tuesday, 4.30 pm

VENUE :  INSAAF OFFICE
 A124/6, Katwariya Sarai, New Delhi
(Opposite to Indian Statistical Institute)

For more information, you can contact :

Rakesh Bhardwaj : 9968561421
Asit Das : 9873748177