[Reader-list] The Moral Underground: How Ordinary Americans Subvert an Unfair Economy

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Mon Mar 21 16:54:28 IST 2011

The Moral Underground: How Ordinary Americans Subvert an Unfair Economy
All around you are everyday heroes who refuse to be complicit in the
economic mistreatment of other people.

"Work is a core class intersection in American life."

Bea, a manager at a big-box chain store in Maine, likes to keep a
professional atmosphere in the store. But with a staff struggling to
get by on $6 to $8 an hour, sometimes things get messy. When one of
her employees couldn’t afford to buy her daughter a prom dress, Bea
couldn’t shake the feeling that she was implicated by the injustice.
“Let’s just say ... we made some mistakes with our prom dress orders
last year,” she told me. “Too many were ordered, some went back. It
got pretty confusing.” And Edy? “She knocked them dead” at the prom.
Andrew, a manager in a large food business in the Midwest, told me
about the moral dilemma of employing people who can’t take care of
their families even though they are working hard. This was something
that he couldn’t pretend was okay. He came to the decision to “do what
[he] can” even at the risk of being accused of stealing. “I pad their
paychecks because you can’t live on what they make. I punch them out
after they have left for a doctor’s appointment or to take care of
someone ... And I give them food to take home....”

He described how it changed his job, tainted it, to be supervising
people who couldn’t get by on what he paid them.

Ned, who works in a chain grocery store, detours some of the “product”
that doesn’t quite pass muster—dented cans, not-quite-fresh produce—to
his low-wage employees. “I guess you could say I make the most of
that,” he said. “I make the most of it. I don’t see it as a scam. It’s
not for me, it’s for them. ... At the end of the month ... that’s all
they have.”
Paycheck inequalities
Today, one in four U.S. workers earns less than $9 an hour—about
$19,000 per year. Thirty-nine percent of the nation’s children live in
low-income households. And African-American and Latino families are
much more likely to be poor or low-income and are less likely to have
assets or home equity to offset low wages.

Between 2001 and 2008, I spoke with hundreds of lower- and middle-
income people about the economy, work, schools, health care, and what
they saw happening around them. When this research began, I was
focusing on parents in low-wage families, documenting their accounts
of working, being poor, and trying to keep children safe. But that
changed when I spoke with Jonathan, a middle-aged “top manager” in a
chain of grocery stores in the Midwest. I was asking him about the
stresses of running a business that employed lots of low-wage parents.
He acknowledged there were plenty. I was getting toward the end of the
interview and he seemed to sense that, so he stopped me and asked,
“Don’t you want to know what this is doing to me, too?”
At first I thought he was going to tell me his own financial problems.
But he wanted to talk about being someone who makes enough to live
“fairly comfortably” while having authority over hardworking parents
who do not. He spoke of parents whom he got to know pretty well, who
headed home each week with less than they needed to feed their
families. Yes, he said, it is the “going wage”—America’s “market wage”—
that doesn’t cover the market cost of basic human needs. Still, it
didn’t seem right to Jonathan. He described how it changed his job,
tainted it, to be supervising people who couldn’t get by on what he
paid them.
In the tradition of civil disobedience that marks the nation’s
history, often unassuming but morally clear-eyed people refuse, every
day, to go along with the economic mistreatment of other people.
Like Andrew and many others, Jonathan looked beyond the fact that it
was legal for the market to set wages below what families need to
survive. Does that make it right? Yes, of course it is lawful and
“good for business,” and thus enthusiastically endorsed by a
government increasingly run by corporate interests and their
lobbyists. But when you look into the faces of people who are doing
their work and trying to take care of their families, is it decent?
And if not, who do you have to become to obediently go along with
impoverishing workers and their families? Very different people from
across the country told me that when you ignore injustice embedded in
your society, you become part of it, complicit with what you consider
immoral. And for some, this changed how they saw their role in the
world and the work that they did.
Building a Solidarity Economy
How can one small childcare cooperative help create an economy founded
on teamwork, social justice, and democracy?

Work is a core class intersection in American life because, every day,
millions of low-wage and middle-income people come together to do
their jobs. They often get to know each other, their family concerns,
hopes, and plans. Some of the people I interviewed said they had no
interest in low-wage workers and others said that low-wage people have
only themselves to blame for being poor. But most employers thought
that working people should get a fair day’s pay and be able to keep
their families fed and housed.
A few went beyond concern. They found a little opening, a little chink
in the system, and used it to treat working people better. Even if
they had to break company rules, they were determined totreat people
as though their survival mattered in a business environment that
valued nothing but bottom-line profitability.
I spoke to many people who, like other regular Americans in the past,
decided that when you see people being treated unfairly and, worse
still, you realize you play a direct role in that unfairness, the
right thing to do is to act against it. In the tradition of civil
disobedience that marks the nation’s history, often unassuming but
morally clear-eyed people refuse, every day, to go along with the
economic mistreatment of other people. Andrew, Ned, and Bea were some
of the people who showed me how profound unfairness will give rise to
a people’s moral underground, but they were certainly not alone.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/happiness/the-moral-underground?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=socmed&utm_content=DodsonL_MoralUnderground&utm_campaign=110318_Happiness

The Moral Underground: How Ordinary Americans Subvert an Unfair Economy
By Lisa Dodson
The New Press, 2009, 240 pages, $24.95.

Support YES! when you buy here from an independent bookstore.
The talk about the economy is now very different from when I began
this research years ago. The malignant effects of unregulated market
rule are being exposed as economic damage spreads beyond millions of
working poor families. But I found that long before the press and
politicians became riveted by an economic “meltdown,” plenty of
ordinary people had been grappling with an unjust economy. Far away
from debates about Wall Street and Main Street, in the side streets,
byways, and common corners of the nation, where most Americans live,
some have been staking out different moral terrain.
There is a tale that has always emerged in America when business has
free rein, can freely undermine the public good, and can freely buy
and sell political will. Today’s is a contemporary version, but it is
one that recalls a history when market rule could justify almost
anything—buying and selling human beings, sending children into coal
mines, denying people the right to organize, gutting whole communities
to take jobs to a cheaper elsewhere, or leaving people who have
labored their long lives without a pension or a home.
But there is also a parallel story, the one about resistance. It is a
new chapter in the proud history of how people will refuse to go along
with economic abuse—and not just the few heroes we recall. Heroes
alone don’t shift the ground. Deep change comes only when regular
people start naming what is happening, talking to one another, and,
inevitably, some of them decide that they can’t accept such injustice.
Occasionally, they move a nation.