[Reader-list] Revolts & Rebellions : Arundathi Roy Interviewed by David Barsamian

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Fri May 6 20:51:49 IST 2011

"Continued diatribe against so called upper
class Hindus is a crap. It is a deliberate attempt to divide Hindus. How
many
upper cast Hindus, today preside over how many political parties in India at
national or state levels? The ruling party head at the centre who also is
the
de-facto ruler of the country is of foreign origin & not a born Hindu.
 Today upper class Hindus are also competing
in general category for the jobs reserved for the lower casts. One can only
derive sadistic pleasures in differentiating poverty & deprivation on the
basis of religion & cast."

I am supposedly a Brahmin. Yesterday, I spoke to a few students from EFLU in
Hyderabad. Every month Dalit students organise a beef festival in the mess.
Since beef is not readily available in this country, with a regime which
calls for a ban of the selling of beef, but have been also kidnapping the
animals from farmers (hundreds of instances in Rajasthan and Gujarat), these
students bought buffalo meat. What my friends told me is that they have this
festival every month.

A few Upper Caste north Indian students, mind you some Brahmins as well,
attacked these Dalit students. There are documentary evidences that these
students urinated on the food, threw it on the walls. Altogether the
incident left a bad taste beyond all the discourses and other things. It was
food. The upper caste students, from what I have been told said that how can
you organise a beef festival in the hostel mess.

Thanking you Lalit. I hope I am able enough, with my whatever caste identity
to keep replying to such "crap" over and over again.

Anupam