[Reader-list] Heritage Walk at Nizamuddin shrine, before the Urs of Hazrat Amir Khusrau

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Fri Sep 2 06:28:32 IST 2011

Dear friends,

About 16 days after Eid-ul-fitr, many Muslims and non-Muslims in and
around Delhi take part in a festive occasion they call the Satrahvin
Sharif - literally Holy Seventeenth. This is the Urs or death
anniversary of Hazrat Amir Khusrau, the favourite companion of 13th
century Saint Nizamuddin Aulia. Thousands of people throng the twin
dargah (tomb) and offer their nazrana (of flowers, chadurs and
sweets), say the fatehas (oblation), tie threads of mannat (vow) on
the tomb’s jali, or just sit there listening to ecstatic qawwalis.
This year, the 4-day long urs of Amir Khusrau will start around 15th
of September with various ceremonies and events involving traditional
Sufis and qawwali singers.

On the morning of 11th September, 2011, we conduct the heritage walk
in the neighbourhood of Nizamuddin shrine to acquaint the participants
to various historical sites which will come alive during the urs. The
walk will start at 8 am on Sunday from the parking lot of Humayun’s
tomb. We will first move towards the Chilla (or meditation room) of
Nizamuddin Aulia situated at the north eastern corner of Humayun’s
tomb compound (near Gurudwara Damdama saheb). Those coming in their
vehicles could reach this location directly too (its half a kilometre
walk, and we have to walk quite a lot in the Nizamuddin basti as
well).

>From the Chilla of Nizamuddin we return to our original location and
then move to the basti of Nizamuddin across the Mathura Road (entry
near the Nizamuddin Police station). Inside the basti, we will first
visit the Urs Mahal (which houses the Mughal monument Chaunsath khamba
too) before heading towards the main shrine of Nizamuddin and Amir
Khusrau. One goes through a narrow lane to reach the dargah, and
removes the shoes just before entering the tomb.

All are welcome. The walk is arranged by India Habitat Centre, New
Delhi. A small fee of Rs.50/- per person is charged for the
participation. For registration, you could contact the reception desk
at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi (or register at the venue itself).

More details can also be seen at:
http://www.ektaramusic.com/urswalk11.html

Thanks and looking forward to you all at the walk.

Yousuf