[Reader-list] F$F v/s free software: Succes will only be achieved by ComAcitivists

Steef Heus Steef at CwaC.nl
Sat Aug 11 18:16:22 IST 2001

Joy,

In this world never anything has been for free as everyone has to make a
living. Even religions and politics only survive as their representatives
are able to make a (basic) living out of it one way or the other.

So also transformations can only be achieved as people can make a living out
of it and if the aimed transormation has benefits for others in terms that
they are willing to pay for it. It's just basic economics (look what
happened to the Net's free access and services).

It is good that changes are (often aggressively) addressed by 'activists'.
That wakes up the world. But that often ends in complete non productive
fundamentalists discussions.

The real transformation is almost always made by people who support an
ideal, but also can make a living out of it. I would like to lable them
(although I don't like lables, but just for the sake of argument I'll
introduce one) as "ComActivists". "Com" representing 'Commercial'.

Raju (from what he wrote) is in my view one of them and I know many, many
more. They make it actually happen. Professionals addopting new technologies
from a point of believe. Actually working on getting things done, overcoming
hurdles, bridging gaps, pragmatically solving problems. Learning from their
experience. Satisfying customers that are happy with the results and pay
them for their services. That is much more productive then endless
discussions.

I can't think of any reason why these rules should not apply to free (as in
open source) software.

Ever thought of what would happen if the number of Linux professionals would
be equal or double to the number of MS professionals? (just for the example,
there are many more hurdles to overcome making a Linux a real success)

So, it is my strong believe that in order to make Linux or other software
succesfull more people must be commercially involved/interested in it.

Talking is good and riskless, doing however and trying making a living out
of it is more effective, but also more risky. And that is where one can see
the difference between the 'activist' and the 'ComActivist'.

Steef