[Reader-list] To Zainab - Gujarat and Elsewhere

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed May 8 01:46:36 IST 2002

Dear Zainab, (and Pratap, Jeebesh and others)

I have been thinking about a lot of the issues raised by you (Zainab, and the
lot of similar issues that faced me in the autumn of 1984, when I saw my city
(Delhi) go up in flames, and when more violence (in terms of the number of
people being killed) was unleashed within three days, than has occurred in
Gujarat over the last two months.

This is not to belittle the violence in Gujarat, but to try and see it not as
an exception, but as a part of a larger pattern. Many people have reacted
indignantly, and rightly so, at George Fernandes's trivialization of the
violence done to women in Gujarat in the course of the debate in Parliament,
But in another sense,  what really disturbs me is the fact that he has not
spoken untruly. (And lets make no mistake about the fact that i detest him
entirely for his defence of the ruling dispensation and the regime that
carried out the pogrom in Gujarat). But, in a perverse sense, what he said is
true. Gujarat is not an exception, the kind of violence that we have seen
there, happens everyday, in many places. And hardly anyone talks about them.

This does not mean that we should see the suffering of the women in Gujarat
as "less worthy of attention". Rather, it means that we should seriously
think about what makes it so normal that these things can happen, and that we
can pretend that they don't, or ignore them, or be silent and embarassed
about them. Why does it take a Gujarat to make us sit up and think about the
complicity of the state and people in police and paramilitary uniforms in
violence?

I started by talking about the anti-sikh pogrom in 1984, which was
orchestrated in Delhi by the then ruling secular party, which is spearheading
the opposition to Narendra Modi today.

I remember 1984 very clearly. I shaved a young Sikh man who lived for those
few days in our house with his family, and over the years I have seen him
become a schrizophrenic, still stuck and lost in 1984. Gujarat will have its
own toll in the years to come in terms of the number of people who will
gradually find their sanity succumbing to their nightmares and their
memories.

I saw, on my way home from school, mobs burn Sikhs to death with burning
tyres, and saw policemen protect the mobs, not the victims. I learnt early, (
I was sixteen at that time) that no violence of this scale can ever take
place without the direct connivance of the power of the state, no matter who
or which party, controls the state. I learnt early, that the feeling of
insecurity, that violence of this order brings with it, is the most important
foundation of the consent we give to the power that the state has over us.
The situation returns to "normalcy" and we say (in relief) that the body
count could have been higher, and we thank the army for stepping in and
cleaning up, and life, well, goes on. Until the next time.

But remember, some places in this country have lived through this for decades
on end.They haven't ever had the luxury of  waiting for the "next time".

Take Kashmir, for example. It made no difference whether you had a Congress,
NDA or Third Front (JD +/- Left) government in power. The pattern of violence
in Kashmir by the state has remained the same, and constant, for the last
thirteen years.

The conservative estimate of non combatant (militant or military) civilian
casualties (deaths of ordinary people) in Kashmir is said to be 35,000 -
people since 1989. (this is from a coloumn by Chindu Sreedharan - "The Lost
Generation" on the impact of violence on Children in Kashmir that appears
regularly in Rediif.com at
http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/dec/11childin.htm )

That is roughly 2,692 people each year for the last 13 years. I am taking
these figures from sources that are not sympathetic to Kashmiri separatists.
Chindu Shreedharan is a fellow of the National Foundation of India.

Figures given out by human rights organizations working in Kashmir, or by
Kashmiri separatist groups tend to be much higher and converge generally
around the apporximately '80, 000 dead since 1989' figure.

The truth probably lies between the underevaluation of the conservative
figure and the exaggeration of the human rights actvists and separatists. But
let us, to err on the side of caution, stick to the conservative estimate.

Now lets turn to missing people. According to the New York-based Human Rights
Watch, in September 1998, the non-governmental Association of Parents of
Missing People stated that 2,000 people had disappeared between 1990 and 1998
alone after being taken into custody in Kashmir, and that there were no legal
remedies for discovering their fate. That's an average of 250 per year. If
you multiply that by 13 years you get an estimate of about 3,250 missing
persons. If you add that figure to the estimate of people dead you get -
35,000 + 3,250 = 38,250 people. Estimate of people dead and missing each year
for the last 13 years -  2,942 people.

The civilian casualty figures breakup between January and April this year in
Kashmir, taken from the  Kashmir Live section of the Indian Express Website
(www.expressindia.com)  is as follows
Total Civilians 133
Men  78
Women 23
Children 32

Now, compare this to the casualties in Gujarat - official  estimate  - 822
(including Godhra) dead. Unofficial estimate of the number of people dead -
2,000.  (source - Communalism Combat - Genocide Gujarat 2002 - March/April
2002, Year 8, No.77-78)

Let us compare  compare the 'official' estimate in Gujarat, to the
'conservative' estimate in Kashmir), so as to minimize any possibilty of
exaggeration in either case.

If you look at the number of people living as 'internal refugees' as a result
of violence in India, than you get the figure of some some 350,000 Kashmiris
(Pandits and Muslims)  and more than 157,000 others in Northeast India.
Additionally, there are about 17,000 refugees from the Indian held part of
Kashmir, who are currently living in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir.  (source -
WorldWide Refugee Information Website - Country reports for India and
Pakistan, 2000 - http://www.refugees.org/world/countryrpt/scasia/india.htm)

The number of people living in 'relief and rehabilitation camps' in Gujarat
at the moment is - 113,697. (source - Communalism Combat - Genocide Gujarat
2002 - March/April 2002, Year 8, No.77-78)

I have not mentioned 'rape' because numbers are far harder to get, but the
ground realities suggest that the use of rape as a weapon of aggression has
been near perfected by the armed forces and paramilitaries of the Indian
state in Kashmir and the North East.

Whatever we do, whichever set of numbers we take, we realize that a tragedy -
 at least of the same proportions, if not higher, as what has happenned in
Gujarat, in terms of violence, killings, rape, arson and disappearances, has
been happening over the last thirteen years in Kashmir.

Arguably, the situation that obtains in Kashmir is similar in many respects
to that which is true of the north eastern states of India as well. But
figures are less known. Partly, there is an active Kashmiri diaspora, which
keeps tabs on what is going on in Kashmir, and Pakistan of course has its own
axe to grind in the matter, but since there is less of a Naga or a Manipuri
diaspora, much less news gets out of these places. What we do know is that
the Indian State did not hesitate to use even its air force in bombings of
villages in Mizoram even as far back as in 1966. And the military has
(through the Armed Forces Special Powers Act) virtually had much of the north
east in the vice like grip of near martial law.

Today, we recognize the violence in Gujarat as the manifestations of Fascism,
and rightly so. But I think, that many of us, who are not communal, not
Hindutva-vaadis, are comfortable with making the identification between
Hindutva and Fascism, which is un-deniable, while at the same time, we are
not ready or not prepared to make the identification when it comes to the
agencies of the Indian state in its more secular manifestations.

Perhaps we should think carefully before assuming that this is the only
identification (in terms of 'fascism' ) that can be made. The abstract
machinery of the state in India (regardless of whether Hindutva-vaadis are in
power or not, acts just as brutally, when it wants to, and hardly anyone in
the 'secular' camp takes notice of the lethality of its actions).

This is evident from the history of Kashmir. In both cases, Gujarat, and
Kashmir, the overwhelming majority of victims of organized violence have
happenned to be Muslims. (Kashmiri Pandits have sufferred at the hands of the
fascism of Kashmiri Muslim/seperatists militants, but the scale of their
suffering - in numerical terms, pales in comparison to the violence unleashed
by the Indian state's armed forces on the mainly muslim inhabitants of
Kashmir valley, that is why all numbers I have referred to are only of
civilain, non-miliant, non-military casualties). Now, it is a matter of fact,
that barring a few killings of informers, (and in an earlier phase of a few
prominent Kashmiri Pandits. amarnath pilgrims or other pro-India
personalities) militants in Kashmir, have a great deal to lose from killing
civilians because it ends up antagonizing the local population.

There have been instances of civilan "collateral damage" in the instance of
bomb explosions. But the majority of killings that take place in Kashmir are
not due to bomb explosions. They are due to armed bodies of men coming into
neighbourhoods and villages, picking people and using them as 'human shields'
from behind whom they open fire , or taking them away and shooting them in
'encounters'. It doesn't make tactical sense for Kashmiri militants to use
civilans as human shields, or to torch muslim majority villages, because
these "mass killings" cost them the little support they may have in the
civilian population. The Indian Army and paramilitary forces do this as a
matter of routine. The miliants on their part, take large numbers of
hostages, kill them and extort and inflict many other privations on the same
civilian population, but these have an incremental effect, and so are
affordable for the militants, in that the suffering they cause is immediately
offset by another set of sufferings with greater numbers on its side. Thus
retaining a perverse and macabre balance of terror between the state (army
and para-militaries) and the proto-state (militant outfits).  I have
absolutely no sympathy for Kashmiri nationalism of any variety (Islamist or
secular), just as I have absolutely no sympathy for the Indian state's claim
on the people or territory of Kashmir. Both contribute to the body count.

But, it seems to me, that one set of Muslim deaths and testimonies of
victimhood, are somehow seen as being more central, more traumatic, than
another. Kashmir, is sufficiently distant, sufficiently "other" for us not to
bother about. Gujarat isn't. It is India's most industrialized, most
urbanized, fastest growing state. It is as "mainstream India" as you can get.
It is impossible to ignore in a way that we have grown accustomed to ignore
or not care about Kashmir. The only reason why anyone says anything about
Kashmir is "it is an inalienable part of India". No one, has to say, Gujarat
is an "inalienable part of India" becase they know it is. It is the anxiety
about the Indian state's dubious record in Kashmir that makes people say "the
in-alienable part of India" statement, even as they ignore the mounting body
count in Kashmir.

This "weighing" of lives and deaths, this banal decision to give a much
greater importance to  the suffering of one set of people over another
(whether deliberately or by ommission) lies at the heart of fascism. In
telling us that some of us are more important than others, the fascist state
erects its most important edifice, the confidence that it imparts on a
section of the population that the state will enact, unleash or patronize a
violence unto others, unto a "them" whom "We" are never going to be. "We" are
given to believe that "we" will never have to suffer what people in Kashmir
suffer, because "we" are part of the Indian "mainstream". Then, when for
once, violence occurs in the heart of the "mainstream" at a comparable scale
to what happens outside it, "we" all get disturbed. When 'normalcy' finally
is restored, let us say if and when the present chief minister of Gujarat is
removed, the mainstream (secular and communal) of public life will return to
its hum-drum, "mainstream" pre-occupations. The margins, places like Kashmir,
will continue to exist as "Gujarat's" , but that is another matter.

When the sangh parivar values the deaths of the Hindus who died at Godhra
over the deaths of the Muslims who died in Ahmedabad or Baroda, that is one
kind of everyday fascism.

Similarly, when we value the deaths of people who happen to be Muslims who
died in Gujarat, (as victims of Hindu Fascism) even as we forget, ignore, are
indifferent to the equal number of deaths of people who happen to be Muslims
who die in Kashmir routinely, we may be guilty of another,
"secular-nationalist" variety of fascism.

Or, forget whether people are Muslims or not, forget the whole arithmetic of
minority and majority, and think instead of the numbers who die in custody in
India. At the last count  (year 2000) 1,143 people died in police custody in
prisons all over India - and the majority of these deaths is likely to have
been due to torture, and that there are at present close to 60 people
awaiting the death penalty all over India. (source  - Amnesty International
Country report 2000). India has yet to ratify the  UN Convention against
Torture which it signed in October 1997, nor had it invited the UN Special
Rapporteur on torture to visit the country. This means that there are no
remedies in International Law for any Indian citizen to appeal against the
violation of his/her right to be protected from torture, should the state in
India be the party that executes the act of torture. No political party
(right wing, left wing, centrists, secular, communal, pro-dalit, regional or
whatever) has ever made the ratification of the convention against torture,
or the abolition of the death penalty a public issue - and this silence means
that the broad spectrum of political parties are unanimous (by ommission or
commission) in their tacit or active support to the torture and executions
carried out by the Indian state.

In this country, we all have skeletons in our respective closets, and the
uncounted dead to account for. In either case, some deaths are seen as more
deserving of commemoration than others. The truth is, every instance of
violent death, every disappearance, that takes place, no matter where, is
just as sad, just as much of a nightmare for those it leaves grieving.

The resistance to fascism, can begin only when we stop devaluing other
peoples lives and deaths, no matter who those people are. The resistance to
fascism must begin with the recognition of the fact that the greatest
devaluation of the lives of people has occurred, routinely, at the hands of
the state that we submit to daily, through many acts of obedience.

Who knows what remedies, what forms of association, how many little and
everyday solidarities we will have to build in the years to come to face this
fascism. I am not as sanguine as Pratap is about the "Mayawatis" of this
world, because I am sure that in the assertion of their 'identitiis' and in
the airing of their victimhood, they will create their own militias, and
their own neo-Buddhist/Ambedkarite fascism. If we can have Hindu, Sikh  and
Muslim and Secular Fascism in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, and Tamil
(Hindu and Christian) and Sinhala (Buddhist) Fascism in Sri Lanka, it only
points to the bewildering array of possible south asian sub-continental
fascisms that still lie in wait. A neo-Buddhist/Dalit fascism is just as
likely or unlikely as any other variety.

The second most important lesson, to my mind, in terms of building a politics
that can combat fascism, is to give up the illusion that any one is innocent.
All our 'identities' are complicit in the everyday politics of fascism. Every
constrcution of "us" and "them" is equally guilty, whether it is made on
communal, secterian, ethnic, caste or national lines. It is only by moving
towards an everyday form of politics that has room for sckepticism about the
claims that "we" make on ourselves, and the claims that are made about us, or
on our behalf, that we can actually question the hold that 'everyday' fascism
has over us.

I look forward to the gradual, corrosion of the certainties of who "we" and
they are by a sckepticism that is born of the

This is why, I don't think, unlike Pratap, that the answer to Hindu fascism
is to create our own "shakhas". We will then have created our 'own' fascism.
If the right has successfully mimicked the left, I don't think that the
answer to it lies in re-mimicking the right ( or re-re-mimicking the left?).

Rather, I want to think about what we can do to make all 'shakhas', all
uniforms, all anthems, all 'sangathans' equally unattractive and dull. So
that we do not  even have to enter the tactical terrain of setting one kind
of identity as an antidote to another. Of saying "Indians" when we might be
uncomfortable saying "Hindus".

This might require us to take the battle on to the register of a playful
irreverence towards all forms of authority and identity formation,  per se.
That is one place where the fascists can never get. They have condemned
themselves to certitude and seriousness, they can never be heretics and
irreverential. They want to win. We must be prepared to subvert every
victory, including those of our own. This means that we might have to speak a
language that seeks to dissolve power rather than to take it  over to make it
better, that seeks to reject rather than reform the state.

Those of us who have no icons to defend, no identities to protect, no nations
to nurture, no faiths to believe in and no birthplaces to build temples for
might be well placed to initate a wave of non-serious heresy that may well be
the last (and only) stumbling block in the path of every kind of fascism, be
it of the riotous right, the lethal left, or of the dead centre.