[Reader-list] looking for an internship

Shilpa Phadke abshi at vsnl.com
Sat Mar 6 12:56:37 IST 2004

Hi,

Erikka Johanson is looking for an intership in India in July 2004. Below
I've pasted a statement from her of her interests and concerns. If anyone
knows of an organisation that might be interested in having her an intern
please do forward this to them so that they might contact her. Her e-mail
id is:  <ejohanso at knox.edu>

Thanks so much.
regards,
Shilpa

My name is Erikka Johanson and I am a student at Knox College in the
United States. I am studying to eventually become a midwife and am very
interested in cross cultural perspectives on women's health care and
birthing practices. I am currently working on independent research to
further understand these issues and their cultural implications in
India. I am interested in the structure of public and private health
care systems in India and their effects on women's health care. My main
interests lie with the prenatal and postnatal care of women, and in
particular, questions about the number of women who receive prenatal
care, the options available for women who cannot afford prenatal care,
and the primary health providers who care for women during pregnancy.
Further, issues in health education such as family planning, the need
for prenatal and postnatal care, and awareness of the need for annual
breast and gynecological exams, also intrigue me. I am looking to
volunteer in women's clinics and/or birth centers in order to get a
first hand understanding of these issues. I plan on being in India for
the month of July 2004. For logistical convenience, I would prefer
programs located in Marharashtra, but will certainly not limit myself to
this area.