[Reader-list] Fast food chains:Job-hunt!!

Khalid zzjamal at rediffmail.com
Wed Mar 23 00:30:10 IST 2005

I am hunting!!

Looking for a job any of the fast food chains I have not worked with.McDonald’s and Café Coffee Day(ccd) are two of them.It is my intention to speak with the managerial levels as much as possible and as often as possible.This will help me in understanding the recruitment “filters”,and eventually the whole process.And hence I am appearing for several “walk-ins”.

Yesterday was one such walk-in at Café Coffee Day.And this is what happened:

I went straight to the receptionist,who looked rather sad and almost sunk behind the reception, and expressed my desire to work with the café.

“As a
?”, she asked without even looking at me.
“TEAM”, I said ,and paused.She immedietly looked up,bewildered.

“MEMBER”,I continued ”Team member”.She took a deep breathe and smiled.

She was’nt that sad,I must confess now.
“Are you graduate?” she inquired.
“With first division..” I boasted.
“And how old are you?”
“Twenty three.” I replied.

“O,K,fill this form and take this test”she said,handing over a couple of printed papers,and directing me towards a couch closeby.

I shared the couch with a man in his late 40’s,giving directions to someone to reach this office.
I will soon find out that it is his daughter,who’s also “walking-in”.She is doing a diploma in computers and is keen on joining a food chain, while continuing studies.

And she is on her way,while her father is waiting for her,taking a half-day  from his work at this café office.

I started filling up the first form which is the “Employment Application”.By the time I finished, this man was over with conversations and did’nt take much time to understand that I am her daughter’s competitor.He kept looking at the test paper while I was writing.Suddenly his cell rang again,and he went out.

I was taking the test now.The test paper said,in bold letters” Screening test for Team member.Level 1”

It had questions on analytical ability, situation-handling with an instructions saying “ be specific and crisp”,data interpretation and analytical writing.Time given was 30 minutes and total marks were 50.

I can recall some of the questions in my Pizza Hut test too,such as:
1.
Anyway back to CCD. I took over 2 hours to take this test without any interruption from anyone .When I completed I found the receptionist missing.So I stood up and walked out.

“I will come again to take the test again and also appear before the interview.” I decided.And I came home.

I had a very solid reason for not appearing before an interview that very day.While riding back home,I noticed, an unevenly written word “RELAX” at the traffic signal.

And I knew for sure that I would use that word in my posting for my fellow readers.

RELAX!!!

wishing you happiness and health.

Khalid