[Reader-list] Action Alert - Communal harmony activistsarrested in Karnataka - Write in the the chief Minister

A Khanna s0454533 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Dec 12 22:28:04 IST 2006

a couple of things i find fascinating about this exchange...

first, that people choose to write to vedavati off the list and that
vedavati then brings these emails onto the list as though to 'out'
people's rather personal articulations. hmmm...the complex dynamics of
virtual communities.

second, a peculiar irony - the bababudangiri thingy is, as far as i
understand, about a temple and a sufi shrine existing in such a way
that seeing them as being dictinct of each other is necessarily an act
of violence. this perhaps to the extent that saying that the 'co-exist'
doesn't make sense, for that presumes the possibility of independent
existence. what is strange about the present exchange, then, is that it
treats 'hindu' and 'muslim' as the core categories, as dual categories,
without facing the challenge that this shrine/temple poses - that the
essential distinction between 'hindu' and 'muslim', or perhaps that
these identities are central to the negotiations between people who
visit this place - is a product of a particular socio-political
process. is it so diffuclt for you vedavati, to imagine that people may
think of themselves in terms other than 'hindu'/'muslim'? that there
are spaces that people have shared over centuries on the basis of (far
more evolved?) recognition of similarlity rather than difference? and
that the hindutva/hindu right wing is trying really really hard to
re-define these spaces in dichotomous terms. to me the bababudangiri
thingy articulates a range of issues that otehrwise are all too
abstract.

akshay