[Reader-list] A Visit to the Joydev Mela - posting by Averee Chaurey

Neepa Majumdar nmajumda+ at pitt.edu
Thu Mar 30 21:38:24 IST 2006

Your posting was very interesting, especially what Purna Das Baul has to
say about authenticity in Baul music. Authenticity is a slippery slope and
especially ironic coming from Purna Das Baul, whom many regard as the
first commercial exploiter of Baul music, seemingly unable to perform
without a microphone. Kenduli Mela itself is a sign of the slipperiness of
notions of authenticity considering the enormous changes it has undergone
in the last 20 years with the introduction of electric lights and
microphones not just in the central stage, but in virtually all akhras. As
is often the case with authenticity as an obscure object of desire, one
now hears of other "more authentic" baul melas elsewhere, though of
course, those melas too are undoubtedly always already in transition.

Neepa Majumdar