[Reader-list] unblog the web

fmadre at free.fr fmadre at free.fr
Thu Apr 26 14:33:47 IST 2007

May I ask why you suggest a blog ?
this ancient form is not specially well suited for posting pictures
perhaps we could turn people to doing websites
there are a number of providers that offer webspace for free, most of
them with ads and some not. I suggest brinkster
http://www.brinkster.com/
I have researched ~20 of those for my next piece and brinkster is
unobtrusive (which is not what I was looking for)
also you could use live spaces or googlepages
http://spaces.live.com/
http://www.googlepages.com
googlepages doesn't have ads, I think they assume eveybody is going to
add theirs...

if you are concerned with hotlinking there is tripod
http://www.tripod.lycos.com/
they have that really ugly system in place which replaces your
hotlinked image with thei logo and a message, brrrr

now if you want to have the full sponsored web experience you should
go for fortunecity or geocities
they produce really scary sites

most of those will have aids to produce the html, most of them fairly ok
then you could learn html or just use some tool to do it and upload
your files, it's very easy

of course a top solution would be that sarai opens hosting for its
researchers with photo albums, etc, but that is a political choice
about location as well as property

the web should be preserved in its diversity
there are enough blogs already

f.