[Reader-list] films on partition and East Bengal refugees

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 21:33:01 IST 2007

Dear MRSG
Partition is not a past thing, and the recent films on
the subject certainly do not ignore Bangla refugees.
Although my knowledge is limited and I would like
someone from Bengal/Bangladesh to enlighten us about
some new films being made on the topic, but below I am
giving a list of some very interesting new and old
(docu) films that have been made specifically on the
sufferings by the partition migrants.

"Dateline Bangladesh" - During the years 1970, 1971,
Gita Mehta was a television war correspondent for the
US television network NBC. Her film compilation of the
Bangladesh revolution, Dateline Bangladesh, was shown
in cinema theatres both in India and abroad.

"Tale of the Darkest Night"
This film tells the story of the killings by the
Pakistani army in Dhaka University. Surviving members
and witnesses speak, and bring alive the havoc of that
night. Second Best Film Award, Film South Asia '03

"Song of Freedom" - Song of Freedom is a documentary
film which explores the impact of cultural identity on
the liberation war, where music and song provided a
source of inspiration to the freedom fighters and a
spiritual bond for the whole emerging nation. A group
of Bengali cultural activists traveled through refugee
camps and battle zones performing rousing songs which
capture the essence of the Bengali nation. Directed by
Catherine and Tareque Masud

"Tears of Fire" - A Documentary by Sentu Roy related
to the 1971 Genocide in Bangladesh committed by
Pakistan Army and the agents. The director interviews
international journalists, activists and expatriate
who were witness to the Genocide.

"Liberation Struggle of the Bengalis" - A twenty five
minutes long documentary by the Liberation War Museum
describing the havoc of 1971 war.

"Nine Months to Freedom": The Story of Bangladesh -
Directed by S. Sukhdev, a special documentary on the
refugee camps set up at the no man's land
(Bangladesh-India border) during our Liberation War.
The documentary depicts the plight of eight lakh
Bengali refugees and tells of the East Pakistan war
between Pakistan and the freedom fighters of
Bangladesh helped by the Indian army, leading to the
creation of the free state Bangladesh.

"Ekush Shotoke Bangladesh" - Based on the book "Ekush
Shotoke Bangali" by Shirajul Alam, "Ekush Shotoke
Bangladesh" is a documentary by International
Historical Network, speaking about the history of
Bengalis, the aboriginal people of Bengal and its
later inhabitants.

(some of the above films can probably be downloaded at
http://www.banglagallery.net/vdo/index.php)

Now for some recent films on the partition in the
non-Bangla side:

"A Season Outside" (Amar Kanwar) 30 mins
A personal and philosophical journey through the
shadows of past generations – a film that starts at
Wagah border.

"The Sky Below" (Sarah Singh) 75 mins
The film explores the multi-dimensional relationship
between India and Pakistan post 1947.

"Rabba Hun Ki Kariye" (Ajay Bhardwaj) 65 mins
Thus departed our neighbours. People from (Indian)
Punjab reveal the painful memories of partition.

"Khayal Darpan" (Yousuf Saeed) 100 mins
Impact of 1947 partition on the classical music
traditions of Pakistan

"Crossing the Line" (Anita Brar)
A film about the partition experiences of Indians and
Pakistanis residing in Australia

"Stories of the Broken Self" (Furrukh Khan)
A Pakistani scholar visits Delhi to explore the
stories of partition.

Besides the above, there are many films produced by
the Films Division at the time of Partition.

Yousuf