[Reader-list] Rape Victim ordered 200 lashes and prison by Saudi judges

shuddha at sarai.net shuddha at sarai.net
Sun Dec 2 03:37:33 IST 2007

Dear Pawan,

Namaskar.Thanks for your prompt reply.

1. What motivates me (and others) to engage with you is the mindless energy
you display in promoting your agenda. The list requires regular detoxes
after your postings, and I find myself taking on part of that task (along
with many others)  whenever I think it becomes necessary. But do not
mistake this willingness with the fact that I have nothing better to do.

2. Nationalism is an idea with which I have serious philosophical and
ethical problems. It is my conscience, not my ego, that comes between me
and nationalism. My postings (or any other writing) against the military
occupation of Kashmir by the Indian state are not made for the sake of the
comfort of my ego, rather it is done in an effort to contribute to a level
of awareness I believe that every Indian citizen (and everyone else) should
have about the ground realities in Kashmir, because the Indian state's
violence in Kashmir is meted out in the name of Indian citizens. I for one,
refuse to accept this being done in my name. It is simply unacceptable to
me. My refusal stems from ethical grounds, and from my understanding of the
ethical and discursive responsibilities that l bear as a citizen, and more
importantly, as a human being.

3. I am aware of the fact that your rants against 'pseudo secularism' and
'hollow intellectualism' usually tend to follow postings where you are
exposed as being shallow. When your arguments fail, you turn to ad hominem
attacks. This is a well established pattern by now. All we need to do in
order to substantiate this is to follow the patterns in the archive of this
list with patience.

4. I will remind you, that in my four part posting on iconoclasm in
Kashmir,posted on Diwali night, there was not a single 'google citation'.
Every argument was backed by a quote, in most instances, extracts from the
original text in Sanskrit were given. I was reading Rajtarangini, and a few
other books that were recommended by none other than the venerable Rashneek
Kher, along with other primary and secondary sources, all of which had
elaborate and precise citation. The history of iconoclasm in Kashmir was
demonstrated as having a much more antique vintage than the advent of Islam
in the Kashmir valley. And this was demonstrated with quotations from
sources that even you cannot dispute. And no, they were not from google.

Your 'familiarity' with the history of iconoclasm may predate the invention
of google, but clearly, you are unable to offer a plausible and detailed
counter-reading based on your 'familiarity'. That kind of 'familiarity',
which insists that you know better simply because of your ethnicity, comes
cheap. It will have no purchase here. Work a little harder than simply
wearing the shabby costume of identity when you try and make an argument,
and you might be taken seriously. If not, you will be exposed repeatedly as
a very poor intellectual. An intellectual who is not prepared to take the
trouble to substantiate what he says. An intellectual who hides behind the
mask of identity in order to fire his pathetic salvos in public.

5.I am glad that you are scared. You should be. Whenever you, or anyone
else make incorrect statements about people's biographies and their
opinions or ideological affiliations - such as the speculation that - I
belong, as you said to some - "M-L type of organization" on a public list,
you will be held accountable for your statements. I do not confuse action
against defamation and libel with a call for censorship, nor should you,
nor should anyone else. Your invocation of Husain at this juncture is
totally uncalled for, because Husain has not made statements about the
biographies and lives of actual living individuals. I am not an admirer of
Husain's art work. But, I believe that he should have the freedom to
practice his art work unhindered. The court cases against him, which are
all centred around his depictions of Hindu deities, betray the ignorance of
the litigants about their own tradition more than they do anything else.
Just as your knowledge of the history of Kashmir is nothing more than a
travesty, so too, the depth of the awareness of Hindu culture in those who
litigate against Husain is next to negligible. All of you, badly need an
education, most of all about the things you claim to uphold.

Further, If the difference between a warning not to indulge in libel or
defamation and the call for censorship is not transparent to you, then I am
happy to undertake a tutorial for your benefit. However, that might be very
boring for most other people on this list as they all seem to have a
greater quantum of intelligence than you are able to muster.

6. You say - "I am just too scared to write ........and wont dare to write
the word Pseudo Secularist and hollow intellectual again....."

Let me suspend any appreciation I might otherwise have had of your weak
attempt at ironic, self deprecating humour here. Let me try and take your
statement seriously, at face value. If indeed you were to stop making
baseless statements on this list because of the fact that your arguments
are continuously exposed as being hollow, then this list's policy of being
an uncensored space will have been vindicated. Let me remind you that I was
not taking objection at the terms "pseudo secularist" or "hollow
intellectual" . These terms embody your opinions, and you are free to have
them and to advertise them from every rooftop. Opinions are not facts. They
represent attitudes to facts. I am concerned here with facts, and your
statements masquerading as facts. I was objecting to your saying that I was
a member of some "ML type organization". Now either I am, or I am not, a
member of an "ML type organization". I am either a sympathizer or not a
sympathizer of  the idoelogy of an "ML type of organization". One of these
statements is a fact, the other is a lie. I am not. Neither a member, nor a
sympathizer. You are lying. Saying that someone is a member of something
that they are not a member of, amounts to a lie. And that is why you are
vulnerable to the charge of defamation.

In the long run, the most effective antidote against the most prejudiced
opinion, the most intense slander and calumny is a series of open and clear
challenges, which can take place only in a situation where the prejudiced
statement cannot shine in the martyred halo of being 'censored'.

You have been here, you have had your say, and you have been exposed. If in
the wake of that, you decide to hold your peace, it only goes to show that
free speech, and the diligent, vigilant cultivation of criticality, is in
the long run -  the most effective measure against the likes of you. I was
certain that this was so, but I am grateful to you for having demonstrated,
once again, that this is true.

Your fear is a sensible fear. If you lie, I will be scary. Very scary. Try
and stick to the truth, and to what you know.

regards,

Shuddha