[Reader-list] Rs125 crore spent on Mutton in one day in Kashmir....

Partha Dasgupta parthaekka at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 18:15:37 IST 2007

Dear Pawan,

It's time we took a 'reality check'

Is a well known fact in this country that loans are taken on deaths,
marriages, occasions, etc to fulfill desires of our children (one of the
reasons that the Indian Govt stopped the practice of money lenders).

There are many things I do without so that my children can have more. Any
parent would want joy for his / her children.

Povert (or economic backwardness) exists as a fact in India. In a hill
state, you may have 50 acres across terraced mountains without direct access
to water and in loans to buy fertilizer, seeds, etc and no way to run a
tractor on those lands as the very style of terraced farming needs manual
labour. In addition, the young have left for 'glamorous' town jobs. Travel
to Mumbai by train and look at the slums leading in to that city - each
hutment there with colour TVs, fridges, etc - and compare it to one in say
Kolkatta.

Forget Manmohan Singh's 'CoolAid'. Travel around and take a look at what
level our infrastructure across the country, middlemen, religion and
bureaucracy (along with a host of different 'minorities' each asking for /
getting compensation) allows the freedom to work freely.

Rgds, Partha

On Dec 21, 2007 10:43 PM, Pawan Durani <pawan.durani at gmail.com> wrote:

>  *Kashmir's Bakr Eid spend crosses Rs125 crore *
> http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1140648
>

> "......
>
> More than four lakh animals will be slaughtered in Kashmir; around 70,000
> in
> Srinagar alone. "People have spent huge amounts of money on buying animals
> for offering sacrifices this Eid. We have fixed a rate of Rs90 per kg of
> meat. More than 24 lakh kgs of meat will be distributed," said Dr Shafat
> Kakroo, general manager J&K Sheep Development Board...
>
> ........"
>

> And they have the gall to say that they are economically
> impoverished....and
> then our PM Dr. Singh attributes the emergence of terrorism to economic
> backwardness.......What CoolAid is he drinking?

Partha Dasgupta
+919811047132