[Reader-list] How Fake and How Hollow

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Feb 27 15:22:13 IST 2007

Dear Rahul, Vedavati, Abhik (and everyone else on this list)

1. Every list member is free to express their views on this list. This
list does not have a policy of banning any member, or censoring content.
This is not going to change. I think that the value of the freedom of
expression on this list is far greater than the consequences of having
to deal occasionally with the excesses of some of our fellow members. If
we ban Vedavati for something that she may have said, then we will set
an unfortunate precedent by which people may keep calling for bans on
people they do not agree with, eventually, this will lead to the death
of debate and dissent on this list. I would not like things to come to
such a pass.

2. I have never suggested that Vedavati be banned, or that her posts be
censored, neither now, nor on earlier occasions. So, I do not quite see
how 'fake and hollow...the liberalism and tolerance' that I 'wear on
(my) sleeve is in the  face of handling Vedavati's posts' actually is.
(as has been suggested by Rahul Asthana). If anyone else actually sees
how 'fake and hollow' it is, I would be grateful if they could enlighten
me, so that I can take measures to endow my liberality and tolerance
with authenticity and depth. I had suggested that spats of this nature
(as had occurred between Vedavati and Abhik) be ignored in the larger
interests of the discursive life of this list. To advise fellow list
members to ignore a provocation is not the same as asking for the
provocator to be banned. Until and unless it can be demonstrated that I
have asked for a gag order on Vedavati, it remains to be demonstrated as
to how fake and hollow my liberality and tolerance actually are. I am
willing to wait patiently for that to be demonstrated.

3. An aside : I find Sunandan's responses to 'Vedavatism' very
appropriate, and I think that hindutva apologists are best disarmed with
a refined sense of the absurd. Sunandan's response has a sophistication
that I find it possible to learn from.

4. I prefer visible to invisible biases. My biases have never been
invisible. I take special care to render them visible in everything I
write. I think this makes for transparent and open debate.

5. The responsibility of being a participant in a free and uncensored
list requires me occasionally to make my stand clear, in this case, I
have only stated that I disagree with neither the content of Vedavati's
interventions, nor the tenor of Abhik Samanta's response to those
interventions. Failing to do so, would make me complicit in endorsing
one or the other of these stances. I wish to do neither.

6. To fight what I think is secterian hatred with misogyny seems to me
to betray a poverty of discursive imagination. I hope that the list can
rise above this, and would welcome (if others so desire) a serious
debate on issues of religion, nationalism and identity on the list. It
would be preferable if such a debate could articulate a complex range of
issues without getting stuck in the rut of the vocabulary of reciprocal
abuse and name calling, so that we dont have to waste our time and
limited attention spans in clearing the air in the wake of particularly
offensive posts. At the risk of repetition, let me state that I would
personally welcome a serious intervention from Vedavati, or from any
person sympathetic to her positions, that can be debated seriously,
without anyone having to deal with the detritus of personal and ad
hominem attacks.

7. To do this, we (including Vedavati, or Abhik, or anyone else) do not
necessarily have to descend to the level of references to the
desirability of 'wrapping the bodies of muslim terrorists pigs' or to
references to a fellow list member's personal life (or lack of it).

8. If anyone chooses to do so, it can only be seen as evidence of their
propensity for grandstanding, their willingness to be trapped in a never
ending game of reciprocal abuse, and a profound lack of seriousnes.

9.Finally, I think everyone's point of view, no matter how objectionable
it may be to anyone else, deserves a fair hearing, but I also think that
this does mean that a person who sort of keeps grinding away at
monotonously offensive register riskes having themselves ignored by
others on the list. Eventually they may well find themselves isolated.
This list will never ban anyone, but a list that does not ban is also
very good at ignoring, isolating and cornering posters who deliberately,
and time and again make offensive postings. I would suggest that it be
understood that being ignored, isolated, cornered and exposed is a fate
far worse than being banned, because it does not come laden with the
promise of the potential glamour of being identified as someone who is
subject to censorship. Sometimes, to not be censored for what one says
is far more damaging to the self than to be censored for what one says.
I hope Vedavati and Abhik both understand this, because each callous
statement that they (or anyone else) make(s) only exposes them further
in the eyes of this entire discursive community.

Enough said, now I would like to get back to work and get on with my life,

thank you, and apologies in advance for any offence caused deliberately,
or inadvertently to anyone on this list by this post. I mean that seriously.

regards

Shuddha