[Reader-list] shuddhabratas response

Tapas Ray t.ray at vsnl.com
Thu Mar 1 18:32:39 IST 2007

PS to my earlier post:

Even though Ms Jogi is probably happy with the way her posts have turned the
Sarai list from a very imperfect approximation of a public sphere type space
of rational critical discourse into a hate space where identities are being
attacked (by Ms Jogi and Emma, for instance) or asserted and defended (as I
have done just now), I cannot help thinking that she has reason to be
unhappy, too - she can see that there are plenty of list members who will
not accept in silence her proselytizing efforts in aid of certain primitive
points of view.

And yes, I stand with Shuddhabata in "understanding" Abhit's outrage, even
though I think, like Shuddha, that his language was wrong, and probably
misogynic - even though he merely referred to copulation while the original
sin - spreading hatred against Muslims - is often accompanied by rape and
murder on a large scale, as in Gujarat, and is not limited to mere verbal
references to sexual intercourse ... I should add that I do not know whether
Ms Jogi has personally taken part in that sort of mayhem, but she does
defend those who indulge in these for breakfast.

In law, there is something called "mitigating circumstance". A murder who
kills under grave provocation, gets a lesser sentence than one who kills in
cold blood. Abhit wrote what he wrote under grave provocation from Ms Jogi.
Hence our "understanding".

Hope this helps.

Tapas Ray