[Reader-list] Two Iqbals & One Faiz

yasir ~ yasir.media at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 15:49:05 IST 2007

briefly

i am no scholar of iqbal, but ...

iqbal takes rumi as his mentor and he appears again and again

rumi says
when love is apathetic one is like a bird without feathers/wings (par)
- alas, afsos.
choon na baa shud, ishq raa parwaa e oo
oo cho murgh e maand e be par, waae oo

otoh my wings/feathers (par) and hair (baal) and are the lasso?
(kamand) of the lover (aashiq) and the pull takes me to the (koocha)
street of the beloved.
par o baal e maa, kamand e ishq oost
moo kushanish mee kashad taa koo e dost

imho then, "par nahee" is no feathers, no wings - does not mean 'but',
with which the construction becomes odd too. (parwaz) flight of
words/things (baat) only makes dramatic sense without wings and
feathers (love apathetic) in its influence (asar) in coming from from
the heart (dil).

best