[Reader-list] STOP THE SHUDDHA-FECAL-TION

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Sep 14 20:09:10 IST 2007

Dear Vishal,

Excellent post, and well said, in everything you have said. And I agree
with you, its time to put an end to this, and time for all of us to get
some sun, or moonlight into our lives. I want to do that most of all.

But, I think the patience and the loving reason tack was tried, and
tried for a long time, and everything that everyone said (and I mean
everyone) was taken very seriously. The archive of this list is proof of
that. Actually, the scatological references originate with the ARKP
hydra, some of us just chose to take it on, having failed to cut ice, as
you say, with the clear light of reason and enlightened benevolent
patient and trying to be nice. We tried to have some fun, not as in a co
ordinated conspiracy, but in a spontaneous move that originated at
several points, instead of gettin embroiled in the schoolyard 'tu-tu,
main-main' and competitive victimhood game that they (ARKP) are probably
more familiar with. Repeatedly, also, attempts have been made and are
still being made to try and introduce other ideas, images, concepts on
this list in the last few days. But of course, ARKP bounces back with
their one point agenda of unmasking some of us as a proxy terror cell.

I am as concerned as you are about the health of the list, and about the
need for some cool (not hot) 'hava'.But I take anyone implying that I,
or any one of my friends, is an apologist for terrorism very, very
seriously. These are very dark times, and I have known people face death
sentences for lesser things than such flimsy charges. I do not want
myself, you, or anyone else on this list to have to deal with the
nightmarish mess of that because some motivated individuals repeated
lies about us that went unchallenged. So that, individuals could go on
saying, we proved and showed and demonstrated on the Reader List that X,
Y and Z were terrorists, or terrorist sympathizers.

The individuals we all know did the following -

1. accused people of doing things that they had not done (cancel screenings)
2. tried to prejudice our understanding, through out of context
readings, of a publicly available court record in a serious terrorism trial.
3. tried to tar people on this list with the very serious charge of
aiding terrorism and being aided by terrorists.
4. falsified facts and selectively quoted historical sources in order to
buttress a communal argument
5. initiated the business of sexist innuendo, ad hominem remarks and
casteist insinuations(how else is one to interpret a post that calls
people SHITS in a country where shit cleaning is a caste issue) and left
no stone unturned in engaging in the wholesale and unwarranted imputaton
of motives.

All this occurred after every attempt had been made (for the past
several weeks) to engage with them with seriousness, analytical rigour
and some amount of actual engagement with historical material.

These individuals have grossly abused the freedom of expression that is
granted to everyone that participates on this list, and I am not
surprised that in return they have had to deal with some of the vitriol
that even very patient people can generate when provoked beyond reason.

The option to ban them from the list was always available, and there was
enough reason to do so, because they crossed the line that divides
radical difference of opinion from false accusations and moved straight
into the territory where they began spreading lies and rumour. But
banning them is an is an option that the traditions and conventions of
this list prevents us from exercising. And I do not think that anyone on
this list barring them wishes to see them decked out with the glamour of
martyred 'censorship'.

Hence, we have to put up with the periodic spectacle of sanitation. The
consequences of free speech are a degree of pain for everyone, most of
all for those who are trying to keep the space free. Believe me, nothing
exasperates me, or I think anyone who has been engaged in this more than
having to deal yet again with some trashy argument. But because we are a
free space, we have to do it. The consequneces of 'ignoring' this
mounting pile of garbage are that the list itself will get polluted, and
undermined.

They are not new to this game. I have seen them doing this on other
lists and forums where they have had equally destructive agendas. What
is new for them is the amount of resistance coming from several members
of the list. I think they underestimate the lists capacity to exhaust them.

I have said enough on these matters of sanitation and plumbing,
exercised enough of my freedom of speech, and now I can and will choose
to exercise my freedom of silence, but I hope, others, you included,
will step into breach the gap, so that we do not drown in fecal matter.

I remain hopeful that the list will do a perfectly good cleaning job

Shuddha