[Reader-list] Self determination in Kashmir-reply to Vishal

Zainab Bawa zainabbawa at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 10:36:29 IST 2007

Dear Pawan,

Your reading and interpretation of history and my
reading and interpretation of history differ and that
is very clear from the discussions that we have had
and seen on this list so far. Thus far, you have not
attempted to see my point of view and I have also not
attempted to see much of your point of view because
the fundamental differences in our ideologies is that
for you, the nation is an important determining force
of your life and you see it as bringing stability and
order whereas for me, the nation cannot determine my
life for me and I see its attempts at bring stability
and order laced with violence in certain situations.
Therefore, I am in no position to enlighten you.

However, I want to take this opportunity to lighten
myself by admitting that I am feeling very
uncomfortable and queasy discussing 'solutions' 'for'
'Kashmir'. I believe that ultimately, their voices are
the legitimate ones and the most I can do is to offer
my support rather than try to speak for them. I think
what also alienates Kashmiris is the attempt on the
part of 'us' 'Indians' to try to speak for them rather
than them speaking for themselves!

Best,

Zainab

P.S. Pawan, you have still not dug out that email for
me. I am still waiting ...

=== message truncated ===

Zainab Bawa
Mumbai