[Reader-list] Secular Haj Vs Communal Amarnath

Shivam Vij शिवम् विज् mail at shivamvij.com
Sun Aug 17 21:34:11 IST 2008

Oh yes certainly! Like you can take a helicopter to the cave from the
Baltal land (the famous 800 kanals). Even the trek from there is half
that of the Pahalgam route. Why then does the Baltal route still get
less yatris than the Pahalgam route? A langarwala from Punjab
explained that the Pahalgam route is the traditional route, he claimed
it has mention in he scriptures. He said the idea of he Amarnath
pilgrimage is the toil and hardship of walking up there - as in the
case of Vaishnu Devi. The effort is part of the devotion. But these
modern middle class pilgrims are not like the sadhus, the langarwala
laghed and so did I. They want a helicopter to the lingam, don't care
if the lingam melts, don't care if the hallowed shrine board doesn't
allow agarbattis and diyas - point is to just go there, come back,
shout bam bam bholay, wave the 'V' sign at army jawans, who shouts bum
bum bholay in return, as the Kashmiri Muslim looks on, and then looks
awa, lest he be called communal...

Pawan my friend, if you are planning to go next year, let me tell you
hat the helicopter sorties are available from 'Hindu' Jammu itself.
And if you are going to wait for a few years, don't worry, I am sure
the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board will ink a contract with Tata Sky or
Dish TV or whoever the highest bidder is, to telecast live darshan...

Bhum Bhum bholay!
shivam