[Reader-list] Husain Exhibition Attacked in Delhi

rohan saha rohansaha at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 00:54:16 IST 2008

Dear All,

I am new to this list and was added recently.

I had a couple of observations about the ongoing debate.

As regards the definition of "art"; it is an extremely subjective definition
and will vary from person to person. But one's is free to express what he
wants whether it qualifies as art or not and just because a painter puts
forth one offensive painting does not mean that every painting prepared by
him should be branded as offensive.

Also, I understand the outrage directed against an artist for the manner in
which he has depicted a religious deity or a religious symbol but I can't
comprehend how that outrage sanctions hooliganism  and vandalism. There are
legal channels which can be employed to prosecute a person whose expression
/ "art" outrages the sentiments of a community. Every country has them, as
does India under Chapter XV of the Penal Code.

I do understand that a country such as Pakistan, China, Saudi Arabia etc
would tend to punish such actions more severely, maybe even with death,
therefore I tend to be thankful that I'm in India and *not *one of those
countries.

Finally, would the same controversy have occurred if these paintings were
rendered a Hindu artist? By a Menon or Maity or Sen rather than a Husain?

Regards,

Rohan