[Reader-list] Joint India-Pakistan Statement on Mumbai

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 15:28:52 IST 2008

Dear Kshmendra
I am tempted to intervene in your description of how "hate" is promoted in Pakistan according to you. Have you ever visited Pakistan? Do you know any Pakistanis (or met them) personally from whom you got these vibes. I know I am falling into a clich'ed trap, but I wanted to let you know that almost all Indians who ever visited Pakistan or met people from there recently have talked about how warmly they were treated when they visited there as Indians. I (an Indian) myself spent about 5 months in Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad in 2005 (as part of a fellowship), and I did not meet a single person there who hated Indians or Hindus (at least they didn't say it to me, nor did their conversations revealed this hate you talk about). An average Pakistani knew and appreciated much more about India than any Indians would about Pakistan. Most of them looked up to India in terms of the progress it has made and they love Indian movies, music and every thing else. In
 fact the moment they got to know I was an Indian they would hug me warmly. When they found I was a Muslim, they were slightly disappointed - they were actually looking forward to meet a Hindu! When I was in Pakistan, there was a cricket match series. The Indian team visited Lahore and won a one-day match. The victory of India was celebrated by Pakistanis with firecrackers and sweets. In contrast, when the Pakistani team was about to win in Delhi (in the same series), the disappointed Delhiites threw stones into the pitch (at Kotla stadium). I can go on and on about this, but I am sure my descriptions would be utterly misunderstood in the present scenario.

Having said the above, I will not claim that the fundamentalist elements and the terror-training doesn't exist in Pakistan. It is proven, and more than India, the Pakistani extremist have been destructive to their own country. They strike at will at places like Karachi and Islamabad killing hundreds of Muslims with no regret. So these are Muslims killing other Muslims. Yes there is hate-proganda about other sects and ideologies (as you listed), but I didn't find a single person affected by it. You must also realize that since the time of Musharraf, the top leadership is seriously concerned and working towards eliminating the blot of terror from Pakistan. Maybe the situation is so out of control and complex that it will take more time and effort. The powerful religio-political institutions built in both countries will take a lot of effort to break down. But in short, I do not agree with you that "Hate Agendas run deep in the veins and psyche of the
 overwhelming majority of Pakistanis". Common Pakistanis are so curious to visit India and meet Indians. I am talking from personal experience, and would like to know if you have had any personal experiences yourself. In fact I would like if there are any "non-Muslims" on this list who have visited Pakistan or interacted with its citizens to share their experiences.

Yousuf