[Reader-list] When will Muslims join the mainstream?

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Oct 24 18:56:52 IST 2008

Pawan,

Unfortunately for you, the reports i cited do not only use the term
'Kashmiri Migrants', they also use, in significant instances, the
very specific term 'Kashmiri Pandits'. And this is not my invention.
I only 'quote' them.

For instance, the report in the Hindu by Naunidhi Kaur, specifically
says -

"While in power, the Shiv Sena had instituted quotas for Kashmiri
Pandits in colleges in Maharashtra." Notice, the term used is
'pandits' not 'migrants'.

Similarly, if you were to follow the link to the report titled "Quota
for Kashmiri Pandits in professional colleges" in the Hindu for
December 24, 2004, you will see that the subject line (title) of the
report uses the term 'Kashmiri Pandits', not 'Kashmiri Migrants'

Morover, were you to go into the report you would read that this
'quota' was announced by the then chief minister of Karnataka State,
Dharam Singh, at a Global Meet on "Future of Kashmiri Pandits"
organised by the All India Kashmiri Samaj, jointly with the Kashmiri
Hindu Samithi, Karnataka. (both of which are Kashmiri Pandit
organizations)

If you read what he said while announcing these quotas, there can be
no denying the fact that the quotas are meant primarily to support
Kashmiri Pandit migrants. He says (as you would read if you had read
the full report)

"It is unfortunate that the original inhabitants of Jammu and
Kashmir, the Kashmiri Pandits, are tragic victims of systematic
oppression and are undergoing forced exile for the last 15 years. It
is the responsibility of the Union Government and society, on
humanitarian grounds, to help them to return to their homes,"

Clearly, he is addressing a Kashmiri Pandit constituency by setting
up an institutional framework to meet their demands.

I do not believe that the question of forced internal displacement or
migration from Kashmir needs to be viewed in a secterian light.

  And I am sure that the demands of 'non-Kashmiri Pandit' migrants
from Kashmir, (whether Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Buddhist, Chistian) are
as justified as those of exclusively Hindu,  'Kashmiri Pandit'
migrants from Kashmir, if they have migrated due to terror and
intimidation.

There are instances, for example, of Kashmiri Christians (converts
both from Pandit as well as Muslim communities) who have been denied
all help so far by the government of India, or by the government of
the state of Jammu and Kashmir and are studiously ignored by the
Kashmiri Pandit organizations that claim to speak on behalf of
migrants from Kashmir.

See - <http://indianchristians.in/news/content/view/1312/47/> for
further details

Now, it might be interesting to know how many 'non Kashmiri Pandit'
migrants have been able to avail of these quotas in different states.
Do you have any figures (not anecdotes, figures) that you would be
able to share with the group, or will you continue to make what are
simply insinuations. If you have anything more substantial and
verifiable than your personal opinion, it might be useful. If not, I
suggest you consider again who needs to apologise to whom on the list.

I find your selective appropriation of pain sad and unfortunate. It
truly diminishes your capacity to give an account of suffering, and
turns every expression by you and your colleagues of that suffering
into an opportunist exercise. In the end, it is people like you that
make it more, not less,  difficult for Kashmiri Pandit communities
(whether displaced, or still living in Kashmir) to lead a dignified
life.

I hope that this dispute will end here, with the clarification of
facts if need be, because I for one do not want to see another
endless round of exchanges on things Kashmiri, to the exclusion of
everything else on this list

Shuddha