[Reader-list] 2-Amarnath Accord - What A.G.Noorani did not tell you !

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Sep 8 15:58:57 IST 2008

Dear Lalit Ambardar,

Many thanks for your post in response to A.G.Noorani's reading of the
Amarnath accord. I have addressed much of the substance inherent in
the points raised by you in my recent exchange with Pawan Durani, so
will not repeat myself here.

There is one point that you make that does however need attention.
You say -

"Where else in the country has a limit been put on the number of
pilgrims? Why pick on Amarnath yatra please?"

There are very good ecological reasons to put limits on the number of
pilgrims to Amarnath, and to restore the limited extent of pilgrim
traffic, through the traditional (non-Baltal) route, as was always
the case before the Government of India and several right wing Hindu
formations decided to project that Amarnath Yatra as a 'national'
cause in the 1990s. There also exist excellent precedents for this
decision.

Limits have in fact been put on the number of pilgrims in the case of
the Gomukh Yatra in Uttarakhand, the source of the Ganga, considered
to be one of the holiest pilgrimage sites in Hinduism, in order to
protect the fragile high altitude ecology of the Gangotri-Gomukh
Glacier Zone. I have walked to the Gomukh glacier, and I have seen
with my own eyes the extent of damage caused by unlimited pilgrim
traffic.

here is a report on the Uttarakhand government's decision in the DNA
Newspaper of May 24, 2008
http://news.indiainfo.com/
2008/05/24/0805241136_uttarakhand_govt_sounds_red_alert_on_ganga.html

The 'land hunger' of the Sabarimala Temple Board in Kerala (the
Sabarimala Temple is located adjacent to a forest zone) has also come
in for criticism from environmentalists. I had referred to this in my
very first posting on the Amarnath Issue on this list, on the 30th of
June, 2008.

http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2008-June/013162.html

In this posting, I had made an argument to try and see the Amarnath
issue not as a Kashmir or a Faith Centric issue but in terms of a
question of what happens when state endorsed agencies, sometimes
under the garb of faith, attempt to arrogate land to themselves. I
had deliberately talked of instances in Kerala, as a parallel to the
situation in Kashmir, in order to show that at its core, the Amarnath
'Land Transfer' issue has more mundane engines than faith or
questions of so called 'national integrity'.

I enclose below a copy of two DNA Reports on the Uttarakhand
Government's decision to prohibit pilgrim traffic, and allow only
restricted trekking access to Gomukh for the next five years for your
perusal.

regards

Shuddha
------------------------------------
Uttarakhand govt sounds red alert on Ganga
Ashwin Aghor, DNA Mumbai, Saturday, May 24, 2008

Mumbai: Taking serious note of the warning by World Wide Fund for
nature (WWF) about the Ganges being one of the most polluted and
highly endangered rivers in the world, the Uttarakhand government has
decided to take measures to save the river.To start with, the
government has declared Gomukh, the origin of the Ganga, out of
bounds for the general public.

The Gangajal Nature Foundation, a city-based non governmental
organisation (NGO) has been instrumental in conservation of the river
and had undertaken various projects to identify risks to the holy river.

"It is better late than never. The ban on entry of the general public
to Gomukh is a good decision taken by the government of
Uttarakahand," said Vijay Mudshingikar of the Foundation.

The WWF released a report about the status of 10 major rivers in the
world. The report, released on the occasion of World Water Day in
2007 came as a major blow to India as the Ganga and Indus rivers were
listed among the 10 most endangered rivers in the world.

"It was a shocking revelation as in the name of religion and faith,
we have virtually ruined these rivers," Mudshingikar said.

The Foundation began a survey of the Ganga from its origin to the
point where it meets the Bay of Bengal in 2001. On the basis of the
outcome of the survey that ended in 2006, the Foundation started a
general awareness campaign all over the country. The NGO's efforts
coupled with the WWF report led the government to ban the entry of
the general public, including the Kavad Yatra to Gomukh, for the next
five years.

“We will implement the ban in total. A notice to this effect has been
put up at the base camp. All trekking expeditions will also be
allowed only with prior permission of the central government,” said
JK Unial, incharge of the Gangotri National Park.

He said that around 15 organisations are actively involved in
organising treks to Gomukh and lakhs of people visit the place during
the Kavad Yatra. But all this will be stopped within three months,
Unial added.

The biggest problem for the administration is Lalbaba Ashram situated
at Bhojvasa. “An eviction notice has been served to the ashram,”
Unial said. The state government has also closed all dhabas along the
road to Gomukh.

“People should support the government of Uttarakahand in its efforts
to save Gomukh. It is now established that the glacier is receding at
an alarming rate of 40 metres per year. If not checked in time,
within a few decades, it will cross the China border,” Mudshingikar
said.

According to the survey conducted by Geological Survey of India,
Lucknow, the glacier was receding at the rate of 10 metres per year
between 1935 and 1956. But it increased to 27-30 metres per year
between 1956 and 1990.

Source : DNA

==========

Unclean Ganga
May 24, 2008
http://epaper.dnaindia.com

India’s holiest river has shrunk. According to the Geological Survey
of India, the Gomukh glacier, the mouth of the Ganga, is receding at
the alarming rate of 40m a year. If it is not checked now, within a
few decades the glacier would have crossed the Chinese border. Of
course, the recession has been known since early last century, but
the Uttarakhand government’s move to protect Gomukh is welcome, even
if it is a little late. The state has decided to stop all pilgrimage
and tourist traffic to the site for the next five years. Treks will
also be monitored.

The immediate catalyst for this move is a World Wide Fund for Nature
warning that the Ganga is one of the most polluted and endangered
rivers in the world. For centuries, many people and all Hindus have
believed in the purity and power of the water of the river. Some
scientists have tried to prove that a small microbe that lives in its
waters kept it clean. Be that as it may, the river has not been able
to withstand the onslaught of increasing waste, mineral and
industrial being thrown into it. As the river flows from the
mountains to the plains and all the way to the sea at Hooghly, it is
the receptacle of flowers, human bodies and who knows what else.
Popular mythology says the river managed to cure itself; science
today puts the river under threat.

The Uttarakhand government has taken a very wise if unpopular
decision - the Gangotri Yatra is much sought-after by Hindu pilgrims
and trekkers. The non-government organisation which has lobbied with
the government to save the river is hopeful that people will
appreciate and understand the need for the ban.

This is not, of course, the first Save Ganga campaign that this
country has seen, but it can only be hoped that it will be more
successful than the others. Rajiv Gandhi’s ambitious plan to save the
mighty river did not yield the results it was expected to. Rivers in
India - all variously sacred - have also been routinely mistreated.
Some, like the Brahmaputra, show their fury often. Others like the
once-majestic Jamuna have become placid and therefore are vanishing.
The Narmada is being parcelled out. Even the modest Mithi showed its
anger at being turned into a drain in the Mumbai floods of 2005. They
all need help. The reasons why are so important that they do not bear
repeating. At the crux of human civilisation is riverine culture.

Raj Kapoor’s film Ram Teri Ganga Maili was not about endangerment
through pollution of this kind, but the title could well be a
rallying cry for a country which has taken its rivers and its
religion very seriously, but has long forgotten to give back what it
has taken away.