[Reader-list] The updated list of killings by the firing ofarmedforces

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Sep 20 14:30:33 IST 2008

On 20-Sep-08, at 2:13 PM, radhikarajen at vsnl.net wrote:

> Dear Shuddha,
>
>    the entire issue of "giving" land for yatris and "taking it back
> was a ploy by the then CM of Kashmir state, the motive is clear for
> all to see. Appeasement to hindus in rest of India, by the feel of
> the sentiment that oldest party is facilitating the hindus and the
> yathra. The benefits would have been immense to Congress to boast
> about "giving" lands to yathris.
>
>  In actual practise, this land would have gone to hangers on of the
> madam, to construct the yathrinivas, swindle the yathris of the
> exorbitant room rents. What every citizen has overlooked is the
> fact that for decades the kashimri economy which wholly depends on
> toursim, devotional yathra, has been enabled by the kasmiri
> citizens, mostly muslims because they are the citizens of that
> landscape.

Dear Radhika,

I agree with some of what you are saying here.
I have no disagreement with the above sentiments. I think here, just
as in the opening of the lock at the disputed structure at Ayodhya,
the ruling parties and the BJP both competed for the same space, in
the run up to an election year. It has backfired on both, and has
unleashed a situation that has led to the regrettable loss of life,
in both Jammu and in Kashmir.

As for who the people are who beat up truckers, unless you come clear
with who your sources are and why they should be trusted, we will
have to rely on what the public record indicates, and that suggests
that the truckers were in fact assaulted by the protestors of the
Shree Amarnath Yatra Sangharsh Samiti.

See - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/PoliticsNation/
Jammu_stir_hits_truck_movement/articleshow/3387128.cms

regards,

Shuddha