[Reader-list] On Sarai postings

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 01:18:14 IST 2008

Nazneen,

My personal reasons for joining this list and staying on as long as I
have are the same as yours. Just as you find some of the posts very rich
and illuminating, so do I.

But I have been completely ... disgusted is the word ... at times with
some of the exchanges. I do not know if you were a subscriber when a
group of members, who are very active in the current debate/shouting
match as well, had tried to drown out opinions opposed to theirs. This
went on for a long time, too long in my opinion. List administrators
stepped in eventually, and things were better for some time. But only
for some time.

Since you have urged everyone to take up this issue, I have forwarded to
you and Radhakrishnan, a little while ago, two messages on this subject,
which I posted recently along with Aarti's response to the first. That
wasn't the first time I had appealed for some semblance of civility. I
have been asking for some system of moderating the posts, but this has
not been accepted so far.

However, this is not simply a matter of civility. It would have been bad
enough had it been so. It is also about fostering rational critical
debate. What we have here probably is nominally rational and critical,
but lacks an essential *condition* for such a debate - I mean the
absence of coercion (or attempts at that), bullying, etc.

It is of course not possible in reality to have a discourse of purely
communicative reason. A conversation is *never* purely an intellectual
exercise and people *always* have motives other than finding the truth
in ideas. It is not even the case that consensus over what is good or
necessary can be reached on every issue. But the point is that in these
exchanges, the purposive, strategic element - specifically, the urge to
establish hegemony over opponents - seems to be pushing the real thing
to the edges, or at least warping the debate far too much.

That should be the real concern, I think.

Tapas