[Reader-list] Teesta Setalvad cooked up macabre tales on GujaratRiots : SIT

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:18:19 IST 2009

Dear Bipin jee

I agree justice in India can be bought over. And there are many public
instances of the same happening. Regarding Afzal Guru, I had put up a link
of Arundhati Roy to be read regarding the case. While people are against
Arundhati Roy, she never says that Afzal Guru is not guilty. Infact, she
even says that Afzal accepts he is guilty, but he is just a soldier, the
real king is somewhere else. Shouldn't we try to get the king if the king is
in Indian territory? Nobody knows who the 5 terrorists are even today, or
where do their families belong to. And solely on the basis of Afzal's
statement, we went to a near-war situation with Pakistan. About 600-700
soldiers died in Operation Parakram without fighting a war. Their families
deserve an answer whether the action was hasty or was it right. Whether it
was justified or not.

I am not saying Afzal Guru should not be hanged or just sentenced to life
imprisonment. Neither am I saying he is not guilty. I don't have the
expertise to pass a judgement on that. Let us have another investigation
into it, as also to find out how come he and Geelani as well as others were
arrested, and why did Delhi police get rebukes from the court for their
procedure and method of investigation. Let that find out who really is the
'mastermind' behind the blasts. And if Afzal Guru then requires to be
hanged, hang him on December 13, the day these people wanted us to mourn and
cry. Let that be celebrated as a slap on their face. I have no objections.

I only ask for re-inquiry because of one single reason: Our law system works
on the principle 'A hundred culprits can go scotfree, but not a single
innocent will be punished.' Let us not punish chuhas when the sher is
sitting in the jungle eating peacefully.

Regards

Rakesh