[Reader-list] Fwd: Temples Of Mirpur

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 23:37:47 IST 2009

Dear Malik jee

I did not comment on secularism. Any ways, our subcontinent has seen people
of both Hindu and Muslim religions living together with the common masses
among them living side by side without riots, at least till the 17th
century. And while they may or may not have liked each other, that did not
stop them from fighting together in the 1857 Revolt against the British.

So probably they do know how to live together. And they don't need lectures
from secularists or Hindutva ideologues on how to survive together. Hence,
there is no requirement of secularism as I see it to be taught to children.
What has to be taught (and most importantly inculcated in oneself) is
respect and tolerance for the diversity. Which some hoodlums across all
religions seem to lack.

Regards

Rakesh