[Reader-list] Jaswant’s Jinnah - Karan Thapar

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 20:26:22 IST 2009

Dear Taha

I heard it mentioned (on TV) that Jaswant Singh was asked by (whoever) in BJP to not release his book till after the elections. It is unlikely that JS did a churn-out of his book after BJP's recent reverses and after JS himself having been sidelined within the BJP.

Apparently JS has not been very kind in his book towards Sardar Patel. Patel is iconically reverred in Gujarat which in many ways is BJP's strongest bastion. JS's book would therefore not seem to have much to do with BJP's greater ambitions.

It seems highly unlikely to me that BJP can ever hope to garner "Muslim" support. The outsidest likelihood is if after Jan Sangh and BJP a new 'avtaar' is coalesced by factions from within the BJP which might continue to swear by "nationalism" but unambiguously declares "Hindu Nationalism" as unacceptable.

In the meantime, BJP can only try to sell some promises on a constituency-to-constituency basis through the politics of caste-vote-banks which might include Muslims too. That, in my opinion, is their only hope of securing some "Muslim" support.

Maybe we should take JS's word for it that his book is purely an 'academic' one.

Kshmendra