[Reader-list] Jaswant’s Jinnah - Karan Thapar

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 18 21:01:58 IST 2009

Dear Kshmendra,

Thank you for your reply.

>It seems highly unlikely to me that BJP can ever hope to garner "Muslim" support. The outsidest likelihood is if after Jan Sangh and BJP a new 'avtaar' is coalesced by factions from within the BJP which might continue to swear by "nationalism" but unambiguously declares "Hindu Nationalism" as unacceptable.>

I think the above view is extremely interesting...since it goes
against the perceived psychology of politics within the BJP and RSS
which seems to be based on a rigid binary of victimized self and
oppressing others.

 JS's book could be seen as an attempt to puncture that positioning
slightly, even if it is projected as purely academic in nature.  We
are still trying to grasp the larger political implications of this
change especially with respect to the future relationship between the
RSS and the BJP. There are media reports that Bal Apte, a RSS man, has
been tipped to take over the presidency of the BJP this December.

I wonder could a book on Jinnah by a senior BJP leader may help in a
small but significant way, to coalescing of ideology and political
apparatus within the BJP?

Warm regards

Taha