[Reader-list] Gandhi

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 23:38:31 IST 2009

Dear TaraPrakash (and all)

I agree with Gandhi laying some principles. However the fact that he himself
was principled or not, is something I can't say surely. One of the reasons
for this is that I have read from an article in Tehelka, where it's said
that Gandhi didn't support the struggle by the workers against the Birlas
(their employers), as Gandhi had taken economic support from them. He also
mentions that it took a lot of money to keep Gandhi poor.

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main41.asp?filename=Op310109misleading_gandhigiri.asp

The above is the link of the article in Tehelka. By the way, it was posted
on this very reader list, in an earlier mail. And I mention this with
respect to the first line of the poem written in honour of Gandhi, telling
him to be an 'usool' or principle. In other words, he is considered
according to me as a man who completely followed his principles.

Please let me make it clear once again. I am not saying he is principled or
unprincipled man, I just say I am not sure. Please do clear this point and
this particular incident, if you can. I would be thankful for that.

Regards

Rakesh