[Reader-list] Fw: Baba Ramdev claims Yoga has a cure...

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 19:51:26 IST 2009

While Baba Ramdev and his comrades (or brothers in his mission) are free to
propagate their views as to why homosexualiy is unnatural, and so too have
some on this forum, but when something has to be legalized, we must look at
the founding fathers of our Constitution and the values which they had
invested in while forming it. Those should be the ideals upon which our
Constitution must be based, not the religious texts of the Hindus, the
Muslims or the Christians.

It is by the very same argument that Article 377 is being sought to be
nullified. And more importantly, the govt. doesn't have any right to enter
the bedrooms and find what two people are doing, unless of course one of
them has a problem with it. And who has the right to decide what is natural?

God? Humans? Baba Ramdev? Raja Ram Mohun Roy?

@ Anupam jee: Religion by definition involves politics, and elections also
involve politics, so the two can be linked in some way or the other. And
politics can be democratic, so also religion. Therefore, religion can be a
part of democratic society. Religious leaders are expressing their views and
must have the right to do so. And of course, we have the right to disagree.

The first problem with the current crop of religious leaders is that, they
are not an outcome of democratic politics, but just self-declared leaders
who have no following. Of course, they also don't have a proper knowledge of
the texts of the faithful. And such politics will always involve deceit and
cheating.

Regards

Rakesh