[Reader-list] Fwd: HIV and male circumcision

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Thu Jul 30 17:02:00 IST 2009

Dear Taha,

Let me join Sanjay in appreciating your post on circumcision. It made
me think of the many ways in which identities unravel, entangle and
sometimes masquerade, sometimes play, sometimes just run away from
every attempt at naming and classification - and this despite every
attempt - (like the unique identification cards that you have been so
diligently tracking on this list) to marshall them into neat rows and
columns.

Thinking about the confusions of identity and identification, leads
me on to another tangent, and forgive me for rambling.

Several of my friends who are Jews, have always confessed to being
'half Jewish', in the same sense as Ghalib was a 'half Muslim',
(though they were all, fully, circumcised)  in that, while they do
not keep Kosher (the very strict Jewish dietary laws) and are by no
means 'observant' jews,  they still will not eat pork.

They will be the first to say that their abstention makes no sense,
it is just some strange whisper from some ancestors. So, maybe, if
you put a half muslim and a half jew together in one room,  you get a
three quarters something else, one whole salami waiting to be eaten,
and one quarter missing person?

Again, it is a cultural thing, something that doesn't let go of you,
whether or not you want to let go of it.

Take for instance, the fact that, no matter how long ago some of my
ancestors might have renounced their (in any case fragile) orthodox
Hindu faith, if a book falls from my hands to the ground, I will
still touch it to my forehead, because a book embodies 'Devi
Saraswati' (the Hindu Goddess of learning), and one should never let
the goddess of learning touch the dirt of the ground. and I have
always known that this is what I must do if a book falls from my hands.

Perhaps it is just a strange combination of an attitude of affection
and respect for the printed word, which is probably the only
remaining space that I can make in my life for the fragmented
inheritance of an everyday sense of the sacred. Some might call this
a residual 'Brahminism'. Maybe that is what it is.

But what of it? Do the Portugese pirates, Santhal women, bandits and
low caste Bengali weavers who probably occur in the lost, shadowy
branches of my patrilineal and matrilineal family trees, along with
the more publicly acknowledged teachers, priests and itinerant
healers not tug at my self? And what of the wilder fringes of the
same family trees where lurk Baghdadi Jews and Peshawari Sikhs (and
believe me, this combination is not as uncommon in Bhadralok bengali
family histories as might be thought of at first, so I guess it's
mongrel contours can be mapped on to most ancestral narratives,
mostly anywhere)

Of course they do. They make me a seafarer, an occasional forager and
a spinner of yarns, besides being a worshipful devotee of the
alphabet. I bet they talk to each other and argue in the dreams I
never remember. I bet if anyone looked far back enough into their
ancestries, the waters would get interestingly muddy. Foreskins would
rise and fall with greater ease than people might at first consider
possible

  I honestly don't know what to make of this. But the uncertainty
doesn't make me feel either uneasy or uncomfortable.
  I say this only to wonder, whether or not we all share this sense
of being half, or quarter of something or the other - sometimes
knowingly, sometimes unknowingly, sometimes barely consciously.

I sometimes wonder what kind of conversations would occur if we all
let our half and quarter selves talk to the half and quarter selves
of other people. If fractions could discourse with fractions, what
numbers might we dream up?

Perhaps (if such conversations were to happen more regularly) people
would be less certain about what makes them so different from 'other'
people. If, in place of certainty, there could be a proliferation of
active conversational doubts about the self, it would be a little
more difficult to condemn other people as 'mlecch', 'kafir',
'infidel' or 'barbarian'.

This doesnt mean that there would not be any violence or
misunderstanding, just that the quality and direction of the
violence, disagreement and misunderstanding would be different,
perhaps radically so.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but it does make me wonder,
sometimes

Cheers (from some misbegotten quarter of my self)

Shuddha